Kale, Sausage and White Bean Soup Recipe
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Kale, Sausage and White Bean Soup is the perfect savory dish to fill you up and warm you up on a chilly night.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of BUSH’S® Beans. The opinions and text are all mine.
If you need an easy peasy and oh so satisfying recipe for dinner, warm up with this Kale, Sausage and White Bean Soup. It’s quick and stores well if you have leftovers. Plus, lots of veggies, kale and cannellini beans make this a nutritious choice. If you had a little too much gravy and pie between Thanksgiving and Christmas, this soup can balance things out a bit. Also, it’s a great recipe to make ahead for a cozy night in, or serve to a gathering of friends.
Of course, I use BUSH’S® Beans in this soup recipe. I find they are are the best in consistent quality. BUSH’S Beans is my go-to, while being incredibly flexible to use in all kinds of recipes. Not to mention the variety of flavors they make offers something for every palate.
Once again, the recipe is super quick, you can whip it up in about half an hour and just let it hang out warming on the stove until ready to serve.
Kale, Sausage and White Bean Soup recipe is easy soup making, y’all. Begin by heating a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium heat, then add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the ground sausage. Use a spoon to break it up into smaller pieces. Stir occasionally until browned, then transfer to another bowl, leaving any fat in the pot. Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the pot, along with diced onion. Cook the onions, stirring for 3 minutes. Next go in the carrots, celery, salt and pepper. Continue to cook the vegetables, stirring for 5 more minutes. Add the grated garlic, dried thyme, dried oregano and red pepper flakes. Cook and stir for about a minute.
Almost done! Stir in the chicken broth, half of the BUSH’S® Reduced Sodium Cannellini Beans, chopped kale, and browned sausage. Mash the remaining half of the beans then stir them into the mixture. This adds a bit of thickening to the broth without adding cream or flour. I like to use BUSH’S® Reduced Sodium Cannellini Beans when I can. The beans are still full of flavor. Not only does it reduce the overall sodium, it gives me more control over the balance of seasonings.
Bring to a simmer, cover and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes. Season to taste and get ready to serve. If you so desire, garnish with freshly grated parmesan and serve warm with crusty bread. Yay for crusty bread!
So whether you’re tucking in for a cozy night with your favorite book, or having a crowd over for the big game, this Kale, Sausage and White Bean Soup is the perfect answer to hungry tummies.
More satisfying soup recipes you will enjoy:
Kale, Sausage and White Bean Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound ground sausage* (pork or chicken)
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 48 ounces chicken broth
- 6 large cloves garlic, minced/grated
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (15.5 oz.) cans of BUSH'S® Reduced Sodium Cannellini Beans (White Kidney Beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 pound kale, washed, stemmed, chopped
- Heat a large heavy bottomed pot (about 5 quart) over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add ground sausage, break up into bite-sized pieces.** Cook, stirring occasionally until browned. Transfer to bowl, leaving any fat in pot.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon of olive to pot, along with diced onion. Cook, stirring for 3 minutes. Add carrots, celery, salt and pepper. Continue to cook, stirring for 5 more minutes. Add a few splashes of chicken broth as needed to deglaze pan; stir around scrapping brown bits off bottom of pot. (20-30 seconds).
- Add grated garlic, dried thyme, dried oregano and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Stir in remaining chicken broth, half of cannellini beans, lemon juice and browned sausage. Mash remaining half of the beans, then stir into soup. Bring to a simmer. Add chopped kale. Cover and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes or until kale has fully wilted. Adjust seasonings to taste. Soup can continue to warm on low until ready to serve.
- Serve warm. Garnish with freshly grated parmesan and serve with crusty bread.
*Italian sausage is a nice choice for this soup.
**If you would like, you can also gently roll ground sausage into small meatballs before browning.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Bush Brothers & Company . The opinions and text are all mine.