Handy Dandy Tote Bag
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Sharing a handy dandy new tote bag today with ya.
When it comes to handbags and purses and totes, I can be a little picky. Okay, more than a little picky. When I find a bag I like, I use it until it wears out. I carry it everywhere and everything goes in it at some point or another. Last year during our major renovations of the mountain retreat, it did double-duty as a tool belt at times. Just about everything found it’s way into my bag at one point or another. It was like a Mary Poppins bag of sorts, only if Mary Poppins was a DIYer.
Anyway, long story short, if I buy a bag, I put it through the ringer. Of course, not only do I put it through the ringer, but I want it to look nice whilst it is being wrung. So when it’s time for a new bag (and it was, the leather strap on my current bag was starting to break), I search high and low for one that fits my needs.
Here are my requirements:
- It needs to be light in weight. I need to be able to tote my things without the extra weight of a heavy bag.
- The interior needs to be anything other than black so I can find things. So many bags I’ve looked at and owned have had a black interior, which for me is essentially a black hole. And with my eyes getting
oldermore mature, I need all the help I can get.
- It should be roomy enough to fit my laptop and/or camera (particularly my camera bag insert).
- Plain enough to go with most outfits (as I’m not one to switch out bags to match my attire), but simple touches are nice.
- Easy to care for. I’m not good if I have to fuss too much with anything.
- If it’s leather, I’d like for it to be real leather.
- It can’t smell weird. Some things just smell weird. They do.
- And of course, I want all of those things without spending a fortune on a bag.
After looking high and low I finally bit the bullet and purchased one that I’ve been very happy with: the Dooney & Bourke Nylon Shopper.
This bag pretty much met the all requirements on my list. While it is a bit more than I usually spend on a bag (about 3 times more, actually), but I do plan on using it for a long, long time as my every day handbag, as well as a camera bag and laptop bag.
Here’s what I like about it:
- It’s roomy. It will fit my laptop and the camera bag insert I like to use for my “big girl” camera at the same time.
- I’ve already traveled cross-country with it too and was happy to find that packed down with my laptop, extra cords and whatnot it wasn’t too heavy.
- I was a little concerned that the microfiber exterior would get dirty, but I’ve been surprised, with all of the tossing to and fro it has already seen that it has remained clean.
- The roomy, bright red interior makes it easier to find things, and there are even a few pockets for helping organize the basics.
- The leather handles and braided accents are perfect without being too much.
- It doesn’t stink. The handles smell like leather and that’s about all I can smell.
I’m liking this purchase very much, indeed. This tote bag is from Dooney & Bourke and comes in a few colors, and there is also a leather version that I considered, but I think this microfiber one is a bit lighter. So if you’re looking for a handy dandy multi-purpose tote bag, you may want to check this one out. It would make a fabulous birthday, Mother’s Day, or Christmas gift. Just sayin.
Happy toting, y’all!