Handy Dandy Tote Bag
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Sharing a handy dandy new tote bag today with ya.
When it comes to handbags and purses and totes, I can be a little picky. Okay, more than a little picky. When I find a bag I like, I use it until it wears out. I carry it everywhere and everything goes in it at some point or another. Last year during our major renovations of the mountain retreat, it did double-duty as a tool belt at times. Just about everything found it’s way into my bag at one point or another. It was like a Mary Poppins bag of sorts, only if Mary Poppins was a DIYer.
Anyway, long story short, if I buy a bag, I put it through the ringer. Of course, not only do I put it through the ringer, but I want it to look nice whilst it is being wrung. So when it’s time for a new bag (and it was, the leather strap on my current bag was starting to break), I search high and low for one that fits my needs.
Here are my requirements:
- It needs to be light in weight. I need to be able to tote my things without the extra weight of a heavy bag.
- The interior needs to be anything other than black so I can find things. So many bags I’ve looked at and owned have had a black interior, which for me is essentially a black hole. And with my eyes getting
oldermore mature, I need all the help I can get.
- It should be roomy enough to fit my laptop and/or camera (particularly my camera bag insert).
- Plain enough to go with most outfits (as I’m not one to switch out bags to match my attire), but simple touches are nice.
- Easy to care for. I’m not good if I have to fuss too much with anything.
- If it’s leather, I’d like for it to be real leather.
- It can’t smell weird. Some things just smell weird. They do.
- And of course, I want all of those things without spending a fortune on a bag.
After looking high and low I finally bit the bullet and purchased one that I’ve been very happy with: the Dooney & Bourke Nylon Shopper.
This bag pretty much met the all requirements on my list. While it is a bit more than I usually spend on a bag (about 3 times more, actually), but I do plan on using it for a long, long time as my every day handbag, as well as a camera bag and laptop bag.
Here’s what I like about it:
- It’s roomy. It will fit my laptop and the camera bag insert I like to use for my “big girl” camera at the same time.
- I’ve already traveled cross-country with it too and was happy to find that packed down with my laptop, extra cords and whatnot it wasn’t too heavy.
- I was a little concerned that the microfiber exterior would get dirty, but I’ve been surprised, with all of the tossing to and fro it has already seen that it has remained clean.
- The roomy, bright red interior makes it easier to find things, and there are even a few pockets for helping organize the basics.
- The leather handles and braided accents are perfect without being too much.
- It doesn’t stink. The handles smell like leather and that’s about all I can smell.
I’m liking this purchase very much, indeed. This tote bag is from Dooney & Bourke and comes in a few colors, and there is also a leather version that I considered, but I think this microfiber one is a bit lighter. So if you’re looking for a handy dandy multi-purpose tote bag, you may want to check this one out. It would make a fabulous birthday, Mother’s Day, or Christmas gift. Just sayin.
Happy toting, y’all!
Not for me! I need compartments in a bag. When I look down into it and it is one big hole, I can already tell I’ll never be able to find anything.
I carry a wristlet and a makeup case in this tote (should’ve shown that), and there are three interior pockets that are perfect for keys, pens and pencils, gum, chapstick, a phone … which helps organize everything. Of course, as much stuff as I toss in my tote I’m always going to have those times I need to hunt for stuff.
Love the roominess of this. Gotta have a bag big enough for the laptop and big girl camera! 🙂
I love tote bags! this looks a great bag to take on the plane with you, or carry your little dog with you
Nice choice, love this bag. Red interior pops, beautiful leather trim. Even Mary Poppins would be jealous!
So cute! I’m pretty picky about bags too. I love that inside is pink so things don’t get lost. I’m also not a huge fan of leather bags so the nylon is speaking to me. Classic and simple!
You are so right about this purse! I read about it here on your blog, and found mine on Dooney’s Ebay outlet. I love mine! I bought it in black and am considering a 2nd one in another color! Thanks Amy
Ooooh! I didn’t know they had an eBay outlet! Thank you for the tip, Laura.
oh yes! The Ebay id is ilovedooney. Go check them out and see what they have! they have a HUGE selection of styles!