Easy Caprese Chicken Recipe
Caprese Chicken is an easy and delicious dinnertime entree that will have your family and friends asking for more!
Chicken is such an easy go to for dinner. Grill it, bake it, whatever, its our quintessential family dinner, throw in some kind of potato side dish and you’re done! However, we are always looking for different ways to cook chicken, especially those that involve veggies and a quick cook time. That’s why this easy Caprese Chicken recipe was such a perfect choice. It’s all of our favorite Italian inspired flavors made simple and perfect for dinner. Tomato, basil and mozzarella make for an awesome combo in salad form, and we are oh so pleased that it translates so well to this easy peasy skillet chicken recipe.
This quick and delicious recipe is easy to prepare. First, both sides of the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Heat a skillet over medium heat and add two tablespoons of olive oil and one tablespoon of butter. When the butter has melted and the oil ripples, add the chicken breast and cook for three minutes on each side, then remove chicken from the pan and set aside. In goes the remaining oil and butter to the skillet. Wait for the butter to melt then add the diced onion and saute for five minutes. Next, balsamic vinegar and grated garlic go in to cook for one minute.
Finally, stir in the diced tomatoes and fresh basil then bring to a simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Be sure to taste and add any extra salt and pepper to your preference. Reduce the heat to low, tuck the cooked chicken breasts into the sauce, and turn to coat each side. Top each chicken breast with mozzarella, and cover to melt the cheese. If you’d like, garnish with fresh basil before serving.
This super easy Caprese Chicken recipe is perfect for serving with pasta. Or go gluten-free and serve with roasted vegetables and a big tossed salad. Enjoy!
More easy chicken recipes you will enjoy:
Easy Caprese Chicken Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves grated
- 14.5 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or thin mozzarella slices)
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of chicken breasts.*
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter. When oil ripples and butter has melted, add chicken breasts and cook for 3 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter. When butter has melted, add onion and saute for 5 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar and grated garlic; cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Stir in diced tomatoes and fresh basil; bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to low. Tuck cooked chicken breasts back into sauce, turn breasts to coat with sauce. Top each chicken breast with mozzarella. Cover and cook until cheese melts, or place under broiler (if skillet is oven-safe) to melt cheese.
- Garnish with additional fresh basil.
*If chicken breasts are thicker than 1/2-inch, place between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and gently pound to about 1/2-inch thickness.