Coconut Milk Hot Chocolate Recipe
A lighter, but oh so decadent Coconut Milk Hot Chocolate Recipe that will warm you right up.
As soon as the thermometer begins to drop, the leaves fall and winter creeps in it means it’s hot chocolate season. And what a wonderful season it is!
Today I’m sharing a recipe for Coconut Milk Hot Chocolate Recipe. I’ve been making hot chocolate this way for a while now and cannot believe how incredible it tastes especially for being a lower calorie and fat version. Every time, every single time, I go back to the refrigerator to check to make sure I’m not reading the coconut milk carton wrong. But no, it does have less calories and fat than regular milk, and it tastes so luscious in hot cocoa.
When Starbucks and several other coffee shops started carrying coconut milk as an alternative to regular milk a few years ago I had to try it. It tuned out to be a fabulous substitute in a mocha. I don’t really care for the word “substitute” in this case. It sounds negative, as if you’re missing out on something by substituting. In this case with the coconut milk? Nope. Not at all.
Each time I requested mocha with coconut milk, I thought they botched my order. Instead of a mocha with espresso, I was served a really expensive hot chocolate. But no. It’s just that the coconut milk adds so much richness, it cuts the bitterness of the coffee. Once, after leaving the drive-thru at Starbucks, my husband, Randy actually got out of the car and walked in to make sure they didn’t give us both hot chocolates instead of mochas, but they said the drinks were definitely mochas with espresso. Crazy is what it is. Crazy good.
This Coconut Milk Hot Chocolate Recipe is super easy and quick. In about 20 minutes you’ll be sipping this chocolatey goodness. Begin by warming the coconut milk in a saucepan, then whisk in cocoa powder (I like to use dark cocoa powder), sugar and cinnamon until thoroughly combined. Continue to cook until warm throughout. Top with fresh whipped cream and a dusting of cinnamon or more cocoa powder. That’s it! Grab a mug and enjoy.
Is it warm in your neck of the woods? Serve this Coconut Milk Hot Chocolate over ice or blend it up a make a frozen hot chocolate. Or would that be a frozen cold chocolate? Anyway, whatever you want to call it, I call it good.
More tasty beverages to warm you right up:
- Lemon Ginger Tea Recipe
- Hot Buttered Rum
- Spiced Cranberry Hot Toddy Recipe
- Wassail Recipe
- Mulled Wine Recipe
Coconut Milk Hot Chocolate Recipe
A delicious but lighter hot chocolate recipe made with coconut milk.
- 4 cups unsweetened coconut milk (refrigerated in a carton)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (adjust sweetness to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Warm coconut milk in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Whisk in remaining ingredients until thoroughly combined. Continue to cook until warm throughout.
- Serve topped with fresh whipped cream and a pinch of cinnamon.
- This recipe calls for refrigerated unsweetened coconut milk, the kind that comes in a carton in the milk section. NOT canned coconut milk.
- I like to buy coconut milk and almond milk that is Carrageenan-free. I don’t know about all the studies on it, but I can usually find it without it so that’s what I get.
- Whisking the cocoa powder is a bit of a pain, but it will definitely eventually combine. Another trick is to add a bit of warmed coconut milk to the cocoa powder and stir to make a paste-like combo, then add that into the warming coconut milk.
- Any other milk can be used as a substitute in the same amount.
Originally published March 10, 2015.