Chicken Marbella Recipe
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Salty and sweet ingredients combine in the fabulously famous Chicken Marbella to create an oh so satisfying dish that is quite perfect for any dinner party.
Chicken Marbella is a Spanish-inspired roasted chicken dish that is a favorite from the The Silver Palate Cookbook. This chicken dish is elevated to another place altogether with what may seem to be an unusual combination of prunes, olive, capers and brown sugar. But, take it from me, the result is anything but unusual.
Briny, tangy capers and olives play nicely with the bit of sweetness from prunes and brown sugar. Salty and sweet always work so nicely together, don’t you think? In addition to the capers, olives, prunes and brown sugar, in goes olive oil, red wine vinegar, bay leaves, garlic, oregano, rosemary (in this version) and white wine to round out the list of ingredients to make this one of the most wonderful (and easy) chicken dishes.
Preparation is easy. Really. Begin by marinating chicken pieces in a combination of olive oil, white wine vinegar, prunes, olives, capers, bay leaves, garlic, oregano, rosemary, salt and pepper for about six hours. Next, arrange the chicken in a single layer in a baking dish. Pour the marinade over the top, then sprinkle the chicken pieces with a bit of brown sugar. Finish by baking it in a 350-degree F oven until the chicken is done. It takes about 50-60 minutes. Once done, serve the chicken along with the prunes and olives. Garnish with fresh parsley for a nice touch of green and dig in!
I think you’ll be most pleased with this delightful satisfying chicken dish. Chicken Marbella is a perfect main entree for any special occasion. It pairs nicely with roasted potatoes and steamed vegetables, or a big green salad. Enjoy!
More easy chicken dinner recipes you will enjoy:
- Honey Mustard Baked Chicken Thighs Recipe
- Chicken Breasts with Mushroom Cream Sauce Recipe
- Balsamic Basil Peach Chicken Recipe
- Chicken and Rice Recipe
- Chicken Marsala Recipe
- Buttermilk Chicken Recipe
Chicken Marbella Recipe
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup pitted prunes
- 1/2 cup pitted Spanish green olives
- 1/2 cup capers with a bit of juice
- 6 bay leaves
- 10 cloves of garlic, grated (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried crushed rosemary*
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4-4 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken pieces, skin on, trimmed
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a large bowl, thoroughly combine olive oil, red wine vinegar, prunes, olives, capers and juice, bay leaves, garlic, oregano, rosemary, salt and pepper. Add the chicken and gently toss to coat. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 6 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees F.
- In a large braising or baking pan, arrange chicken in a single layer, skin up. Pour marinade, (along with the prunes, olive and capers) and wine over chicken; sprinkle chicken pieces evenly with brown sugar.
- Bake uncovered at 350-degrees F. Cook until chicken is done, about 50-60 minutes, baste a couple of times with pan juices during cooking.
- Serve chicken along with prunes, olives and capers with a drizzling of pan juices; topped with chopped fresh parsley.** Serve any remaining juices on the side.
*The original recipe calls for 1/4 cup of dried oregano. For no other reason than I only had 2 tablespoon of oregano, I adjusted the recipe to 2 tablespoons of dried oregano, and added 1 tablespoon of rosemary, an herb traditionally used in Spanish cuisine.
**If crisper chicken is desired, place chicken pieces on a baking sheet and place under the broiler to crisp, about 2-5 minutes.