Beef Stroganoff Recipe
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
When it comes to comfort food, it doesn’t get much better than Beef Stroganoff, and it’s easy enough to make any night of the week.
During the winter months it’s hard to beat a home-cooked meal that fills the house with aromas to lift not only an appetite but a sagging spirit. Wintertime can be blah, boring and blue for so many. I find getting in the kitchen and cooking something familiar and regular can help bust that blahs up. Beef Stroganoff is just one of those meals. It smells fabulous when cooking, filling the house to the brim with a delightful aroma. Plus, this delicious dish is much easier to make than you may think.
As I mentioned, preparation for Beef Stroganoff is easy. A little bit of simple sautéing and browning is about as difficult as this recipe gets. First a basic stew is created with beef, mushrooms and onions, plus a cast of absolutely delectable seasonings. They are left to mingle together for a couple of hours, and then right before serving a bit of sour cream is whisked in to give the Stroganoff the creamy consistency that it is known for. Then it is time to eat!
Serve Beef Stroganoff over egg noodles, rice or mashed potatoes. Just make sure to make enough because there will be trips back for seconds. Even your pickiest of eaters will be pleased with this delicious dish!
Planning a meal for someone in need? Beef Stroganoff is not only the perfect dish for any night of the week, it is a great meal to prepare to share with someone who may need help with a meal. Deliver this dish along with a tossed salad, some egg noodles, rice or mashed potatoes, and green beans for a tasty well-rounded meal.
Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 pounds top round steak, cubed or cut into strips
- 14 ounces beef broth
- 1/2 cup marsala (or sherry)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup sour cream
- for serving: noodles, cooked rice, mashed potatoes
- Preheat oven to 300-degrees F.
- Heat a Dutch oven or large oven-proof skillet over medium. Melt butter in skillet. Add diced onions and sliced mushrooms. Saute 5-7 minutes until onions are tender. Remove onions and mushrooms, set aside.
- Brown beef in pan on all sides. Add beef broth, marsala, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, salt, pepper, garlic powder, sautéed onion and mushrooms.
- Whisk together flour with cold water until smooth. Gradually stir into stew until combined.
- Cover and place in oven for 2 1/2 hours until steak is tender.
- Remove from oven. Stir in sour cream until smooth. Salt to taste.
- Serve over cooked rice, noodles or mashed potatoes.
Originally published November 13, 2015.