Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These delightful Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies, made with fresh orange zest and ginger, are a delightful twist on the traditional chocolate chip cookie.
A few weeks ago Randy and I were snowed in for the weekend. It was nice to hang out and be forced to set aside our to do list (except for catching up on laundry). Thankfully we never lost power. We read, watched movies, played with our dogs and Randy watched lots of football while I baked. It was a lovely relaxing weekend with my favorite person.
With a stockpile of oranges on day one of Snowmaggedon 2017, I baked a Blood Orange Thyme Upside Down Cake. Oh my! Day two I made a batch of these tasty Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies. It was a weekend full of citrus goodness! We can’t seem to get enough of it right now.
The cookie dough for this recipe is a traditional chocolate chip cookie with the addition of fresh orange zest and ground ginger. Orange, or any citrus really, is always a nice companion to chocolate and they really work together nicely in these cookies. Plus the bit of ginger adds a nice little something.
Once the cookie dough is mixed together, wrap it tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before baking. The dough can be refrigerated for a couple of days if tightly wrapped. Or if you’d like to freeze it for later, place the tightly wrapped dough in a zip-top plastic freezer bag and freeze until ready to bake. Another nice option for freezing is to go ahead and portion out the dough into rounded tablespoonfuls, then freeze. Then when you’re hankering a cookie, if you’d like, you can just bake a few at a time. It’s a lovely little trick!
For these cookies I like to use the mini semi-sweet chocolate chips. They always disperse evenly throughout the dough. Itty bitty bits of chocolate in every bite!
I hope you enjoy these Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies as much as we do. Just remember, if snow is heading your way, forget the milk and bread and be sure to stock up on cookie making ingredients and oranges! Happy baking, y’all!
Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies
Delightful chocolate chip cookies made with fresh orange zest and ginger.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces (weight) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a bowl whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat together butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, orange zest and ground ginger until well combined. Beat in egg and vanilla extract; beat well until smooth.
- Gradually add in flour mixture; beat until well combined. Stir in chocolate chips and mix until distributed evenly. If time permits, wrap dough tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Line baking sheets with baking parchment or silicone baking mat.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons about 2-inches apart onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake at 350-degrees F for about 10-12 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; transfer to wire racks to finish cooling.
How many eggs? One or two?
Thanks for this lovely recipe! I used two medium eggs instead of one large, and zest of two oranges for extra flavour as the chocolate chips I bought were a bit too sweet, but the cookies still worked out delicious. I will definitely remake with darker less-sweet chocolate like Green & Blacks or Whittaker’s and let you know. 😊😋