You’ll be sure to have lots of early risers when serving up this Stuffed Strawberry French Toast Recipe.
Lazy mornings just beg for a large breakfast or brunch with eggs, sausage, grits and other breakfast favorites. Of course all of the savory dishes need a little balancing out with a bit of sweet, and here’s just the thing: Stuffed Strawberry French Toast Recipe. It’s perfect for adding that little (or large) bite sweetness to round out the breakfast or brunch menu. It would even make a lovely dessert to serve for a crowd topped with dollop of fresh whipped cream.
This Stuffed Strawberry French Toast Recipe is quite easy too, and can be prepped and assembled in advance, then popped in the oven before ready to serve. I so much appreciate a great dish that can be made ahead, don’t you? Especially for breakfast. I don’t know about you, but most mornings it takes me a while to be alert enough to be measuring and slicing, so, for me, recipes that can be prepared ahead of time are certainly the ones to add to the breakfast menu lineup.
Full of fresh strawberry flavor, this is one to wake up early for. Serve with warmed strawberry syrup, and/or fresh whipped cream. Toasted nuts would be a nice addition too, especially if serving as a dessert! I hope you enjoy this tasty treat as much as we did.
- 6 ounces weight, cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup strawberry preserves
- 16 ounce loaf French bread sliced into 16 pieces (or 16 thick slices of sturdy bread)
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream (or half and half)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoons orange or lemon zest
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Strawberry Topping:
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup rolled oats
- 1½ cups sliced strawberries
- Strawberry Syrup:
- ½ cup strawberry preserves
- 3 tablespoons water
- (optional) 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Butter 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Mix together softened cream cheese and strawberry preserves until combined well.
- Build 8 sandwiches by spreading about 2 tablespoons of cream cheese/preserve mixture between 2 slices, repeat. Lay sandwiches flat in baking dish, or arrange to fit best in baking dish being used.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, milk, zest, juice, vanilla, cinnamon, sugar and salt. Pour mixture over cream cheese sandwiches, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Gently press each sandwich down to soak up mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight, or for at least 4 hours.
- Strawberry Topping: Prepare by blending together butter, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Add in oatmeal and strawberries, mix until incorporated, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread strawberry topping evenly over top and bake for 30-45 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with fresh sliced strawberries, Strawberry Syrup (see below), and/or whipped cream.
- Strawberry Syrup: Combine ingredients and warm over medium in small saucepan. Stir until smooth. Serve warm or refrigerate covered until ready to serve.