Scalloped Potatoes Recipe with Leeks and Thyme
Delectable Scalloped Potatoes made with cream, leeks, garlic and thyme for a savory side dish perfect for any occasion.
Sometimes when we make certain dishes that knock our socks off, we’re like “If we had a restaurant, this would definitely go on the menu.” Do you ever do that? This, this Scalloped Potatoes Recipe with Leeks and Thyme, this is one of those dishes. Out of this world is what it is.
This potato side dish is the perfect combination of potatoes, cream, butter, with leek, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper to round out the savory combo. It’s the quintessential scalloped potato recipe in my opinion. These potatoes are similar to a Gratin Dauphinois, as there is no cheese present and it’s prepared with uncooked thinly sliced potatoes that are cooked over a long period of time. Just scrumptious!
This recipe was originally published back in December of 2009 when I didn’t know much about taking pictures of food so I decided it was time for a bit of updating, and was well worth a reintroduction so you can enjoy this delectable side dish too! The recipe has been slightly tweaked but is as delicious as ever.
I’ve always loved the flavor combination of potato and leeks and with a touch of garlic and thyme, these Scalloped Potatoes are my very favorite. Whether serving beef, pork or poultry these potatoes are the perfect accompaniment for any special meal. Or if you’re eating meatless or a potato addict like me, serve this alone with a salad for a mighty fine meal indeed.
More tasty potato recipes that you will enjoy:
- Twice Baked Potatoes Recipe
- Quick Baked Potatoes
- Texas Style New Potato Salad Recipe
- Perfect Potato Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter plus more for baking dish
- 1 cup finely chopped leeks (if needed, sweet onion may be substituted)
- 2 cloves garlic, grated/minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2½ pounds yellow/golden potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees F. Coat 8x8-inch baking dish with butter.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add butter. When butter has melted, add leeks; cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, thyme, continue to cook, stirring for 30 seconds.
- Stir in milk, heavy cream, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer, cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture has slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes; stir to coat potatoes. Transfer mixture to prepared dish, spreading potatoes evenly in dish.
- Bake until potatoes are done, lightly brown and bubbly, about 1 hour. Baste after about 45 minutes of cooking. Let cool slightly before serving.