Coconut Milk Baked Chicken Recipe
This Coconut Milk Baked Chicken Recipe has quickly become part of our regular weekly menu rotation.
Say goodbye to bland, dry chicken with this flavorful Coconut Milk Baked Chicken Recipe. It’s so easy too, and can be ready from start to finish—prep + cook time— in less than 40 minutes. It’s the perfect weeknight main dish, as it can be prepped the night or morning before and popped in a preheated oven for only 30 minutes. Serve with a simple side salad and/or easy Quick Baked Potatoes(which also cooks in no time) for a complete and most satisfying meal.
Pretty much on a weekly basis we roast or grill a whole bone-in chicken cut up. Not only is it a quick and versatile dish, but it’s economical too. Plus, I’ve found that a whole bone-in chicken is more flavorful and tender than many of the boneless portions. Being able to choose the size chicken is a perk too. We always look for a smaller bird, and when possible one that hasn’t been pumped full of junk. They tend to be more flavorful and not as tough. So many times we’ve found chicken to be just plain bad, no matter how we cook it, so putting thought into the a good bird to begin with is worth the time. Otherwise, I’d rather have a salad and baked potato and call it a night.
You may find this Coconut Milk Baked Chicken Recipe a part of your regular repertoire. I know we have. The subtle flavors of ginger, garlic and lime mingled with the slight richness added by the coconut milk result in wonderfulness on the plate. Make sure to use the sauce from the pan to drizzle over the chicken OR as an addition to that baked potato. Oh yeah, yum is right!
A few notes for Coconut Milk Baked Chicken:
- Let’s talk bird. A whole bone-in chicken, cut up is perfect for this, but all drumsticks, thighs or leg-quarters are great too. Leave the skin on for more flavor while roasting and remove before eating.
- If time permits, marinate the chicken in the coconut milk mixture up to a whole day ahead, refrigerated in a zip-top plastic bag.
- Before measuring the coconut milk, make sure it is mixed well, as it will tend to separate in the can.
- 6 tablespoons canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (or other citrus on hand)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pound whole bone-in chicken (skin on), cut up
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Whisk together all ingredients (except chicken) until well combined. Toss chicken in mixture until coated. Arrange in oven-proof skillet or dutch oven.
- Bake uncovered 30 minutes, or until chicken is done.
Before measuring the coconut milk, make sure it is mixed well, as it will tend to separate in the can.