Chocolate Covered Grapefruit
If you’re a fan of grapefruit, you’ll find this Chocolate Covered Grapefruit combination of fresh citrus, and semi-sweet chocolate irresistible.
Today I’m happy to be part of celebrating the impending arrival of a new baby! Jessica of How Sweet Eats and her husband will be bringing home a baby real soon, and many of her online friends are throwing a virtual baby shower for them. Yay! If you know anything about Jessica, you’ll know that when it comes to food, sometimes she likes to trash things up (which means make it over the top better), so we’ve gathered together some trashed up dishes in her honor. Be sure to check out the fabulous menu list at the end of the post.
My contribution to the virtual shower is something that Jessica and I have in common: a love for all things grapefruit. It’s a treat perfectly paired just for Jessica, and any other grapefruit fans out there.
What makes a perfect pair? Sometimes a pairing is better than the sum of its parts. The winning pairings are often obvious: chocolate and peanut butter, Sonny and Cher, Turks and Caicos. Other times there are unlikely dynamite duos—pairings that aren’t quite so obvious—like chocolate and cayenne, or Bruce Hornsby and Ricky Skaggs, or, say, grapefruit and chocolate. Yep, grapefruit and chocolate. Citrus and chocolate are wonderful companions. It’s not a new realization. Usually you’ll find chocolate paired with oranges or lemon, but grapefruit and chocolate … oh yeah, if you’re a fan of grapefruit, it’s not to be missed.
So I present to you Chocolate Covered Grapefruit. It’s strangely good. Strangely good, I say! And when do you ever pass up strangely good? Never, I say! Never pass up the strangely good. Unless it’s against the law or something really bad, but then it wouldn’t be good, it would just be strange.
Anyway, find some melting chocolate, a few grapefruit, and get to it! It’s a great strangely good treat to add to the party spread. These treats can be made ahead and refrigerated until ready to serve. And these citrus treats are not hard to make. Seriously, the most difficult and time consuming part is peeling the grapefruit. Peeling grapefruit is kinda not so easy. Getting all the white part off without bursting the grapefruit section membranes. So if anyone out there knows of a trick to do that, please let me know. Otherwise, the chocolate covering part is super simple.
Dark chocolate, as well as white chocolate covered grapefruit sections were made, with a few pink sprinkles for good measure on the white chocolate version. Milk chocolate could be used as well. Use what you like!
- 1 pound melting chocolate (your preference: dark chocolate, white chocolate, or milk chocolate)
- 3 pink or red grapefruits, peeled and separated into segments
- optional toppings: sprinkles, toasted nuts
- Melt chocolate according to package instructions.
- Carefully dip grapefruit sections one at a time, allowing excess to drip off. Place on wax paper lined baking sheets. Add optional toppings if desired.
- Once all grapefruit sections are dipped, place baking sheet in refrigerator for about 10 minutes to firm up.
- Serve right away, or cover and return to refrigerator until ready to serve.
And here they are! The deliciously trashed up shower dishes:
trashed up salads
- Gimme Some Oven – Asian Broccoli Salad with Peanut Sauce
- The Lemon Bowl – Brussels Slaw with Tahini Dressing and Za’atar Crostini
- With Style & Grace – Kale Salad with Apple, Hazelnuts & Bacon
trashed up cocktails
- Dine & Dish – Hot Buttered Rum Cocktail
- Food For My Family – Cranberry Orange Dark and Stormy Cocktail
- Minimalist Baker – Bourbon Pumpkin Milkshakes
- Stylish, Stealthy & (sometimes) Healthy – Apple Cider Shandy
- A Spicy Perspective – Preggy Punch Mocktail
- Girl vs. Dough – Boozy Maple Peanut Butter Cup Milkshake
- Honestly Yum – Maple Bacon Pisco Sour
- Cookin Canuck – Pink Grapefruit Margaritas
- A Thought For Food – Mezcal Citrico Cocktail
- A House in the Hills – Pomegranate Rosemary Spritzer
- The Novice Chef – Ginger Bourbon Apple Cider
- Bran Appetit – Citrus Cider Punch Floats
trashed up burgers
- Edible Perspective – Meatloaf Veggie Burgers with Mashed Potatoes + Gravy
- The Little Kitchen – Salmon BLT Sliders with an Avocado Aioli & Brie
- Daisy At Home – Balsamic Beef Burger with Mac and Cheese
- Cookies & Cups – Candied Bacon Maple Cheddar Burger
- Climbing Grier Mountain – Trashed-Up Steak Burger with Chicken Fried Bacon & Dijon Gravy
- Dessert For Two – Bleu Cheese Burgers + Sweet Potato Fries
- Country Clever – Fig Rosemary Roast Chicken Brie Brussels Sprout Panini
- Foodie Crush – The Best Cheeseburger Soup
- Lady and Pups – Spicy Sambal Chicken Meatball Sub with Eggs
- Two Peas & Their Pod – Sweet Potato and Kale Grilled Cheese
- Bake Your Day – Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich
trashed up tacos
- Spoon Fork Bacon – Crunchy Ground Beef and Cheesy Tacos
- The Fauxmartha – Boozy Beef and Butternut Tacos
- With Food + Love – Harvest Hash Breakfast Tacos
- Mountain Mama Cooks – Crispy Kale and Brussels Sprout Tacos with Bacon
- Heather Christo – Bahn Mi Tacos with Spicy Sriracha Honey Sauce
- A Couple Cooks – Loaded Huevos Rancheros Tacos
- Fitnessista – San Diego Lobster Street Tacos
trashed up desserts
- Table for Two – Salted Caramel, Dark Chocolate, and Brown Butter Shortbread Bars with Sprinkles
- My Name is Yeh – Mini Vanilla Loaf Cakes, All Trashed Up
- Picky Palate – Pumpkin Spice Butterscotch Sprinkle Cupcakes
- Sprinkle Bakes – Cake Batter Confetti Cupcakes
- Averie Cooks – Easy Homemade Funfetti Cake with Vanilla Buttercream
- Sweet Phi – Trashed Up Shortbread Cookie Bars
- Love & Olive Oil – Loaded Junk Food Brownies
- Lauren’s Latest – Bakery Sugar Cookies
- Cookie + Kate – Peanut Butter, Banana, Honey and Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Flourishing Foodie – Triple Layer Chocolate Cake with Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting
- The Sugar Hit – Salted Caramel Popcorn Ice Cream Cake
- Hummingbird High – Breakfast Cereal Cake Donuts
- Top With Cinnamon – Triple Chocolate Vanilla Swirl Crumb Cake
- Bake at 350 – Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sundaes
- Simple Bites – Lemon Layer Cake
- Bakerella – Baby Block Cake Pops
- She Wears Many Hats – Chocolate Covered Grapefruit (You’re already here!)
trashed up pizza
- Bev Cooks – Beer Battered Fried Calamari Pizza
- Rachel Cooks – Apple and Chicken Sausage Pizza with Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Crust
- Foodie With Family – Trashed Up Barbecue Turkey Pizza
- Shutterbean – Pesto Potato Bacon Pizza
- i am a food blog – Grilled Cheese Pizza
- My Life as a Mrs – Chili Cheese Dog Pizza
- Simply Scratch – Steak + Blue Cheese Pizza with Crispy Fried Shallots and Honey Balsamic Drizzle
- The Beeroness – Beer Cheese Tater Tot Pizza
- Yes I Want Cake – Roasted Pumpkin Pizza
- Two Red Bowls – Bacon Mashed Potato Pizza
- Dula Notes – Pork Bahn Mi Pizza
- Weelicious – Trashed Up Mexican Pizza Pockets
- Take a Megabite – Roasted Beet Pizza
- Hungry Girl Por Vida – Hard Cider Braised Pork with Sour Cherries and Cheesy Polenta
- Bakers Royale – Trash’d Street Tacos