Smoky Spicy Cheese Straws Recipe
Make this Smoky Spicy Cheese Straws Recipe for your next get-together as a compliment to serve with chili or soup, or even as a simple appetizer.
Smoky Spicy Cheese Straws are a fun and tasty twist on regular cheese straws. They’re sort of a cross between a cheese straw and a breadstick. What’s not to like? Plus, you can make them right at home! I think they are the perfect crunchy compliment to a soup or salad, or serve alone as an appetizer. A batch of these breadsticks along with a pot of Tomato Soup and you have got one flavorful meal ready for a hungry crowd. You’d probably find me in the corner dipping these in the soup all night long. Oh my … good eats for sure!
To make these bread stick cheese straws, puff pastry is used along with parmesan and cheddar cheese, and a hearty amount of smoky spices with a few herbs for extra flavor.
These cheese straws are not short on flavor! Not one bit.
Smoky Spicy Cheese Straws recipe notes:
- Now don’t be intimidated by the long list of ingredients and instructions. Most of the ingredients are basic spices which means quick measuring. And the instructions are really easier than they look. As with any recipe, be sure to read through the instructions before beginning to make these so you see how the process goes. You’ll find that the process is pretty easy and kind of fun too! Sort of like “patty cake.” You roll, sprinkle, fold, roll again and sprinkle again, then cut, and twist.
- Puff pastry is fairly easy to work with. If you find that the pastry is getting sticky and/or soft, return it to the refrigerator for a bit to firm up before proceeding.
- There are a few simple steps you could do if you’d like to prepare a bit ahead of time. While the cheese straws could be totally made a day ahead and kept stored tightly covered until ready to serve, I think these are best warm out of the oven. For quick prep right before serving: go ahead and cook the bacon; mix together cheeses, spices, herbs and crumbled bacon in a ziptop bag and refrigerate until ready to use.
Smoky Spicy Cheese Straws Recipe
- 2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup grated smoked cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground Ancho chile pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Chipotle chile pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed (1/2 of 17.3 ounce package)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees F. Line large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix cheeses, ancho and chipotle chili peppers, cilantro, rosemary, garlic powder and crumbled bacon in medium bowl.
- Lightly flour a work surface and roll pastry into a 13x16-inch rectangle. Brush pastry lightly with beaten egg.
- Sprinkle half of dough with half of the cheese/spice mixture. Fold top half over bottom half.
- Roll pastry into a 13x16-inch rectangle again. Brush again with egg. Sprinkle with remaining cheese mixture, pressing lightly with rolling pin to adhere cheese to pastry.
- Cut pastry in half crosswise, then cut into 36 (3/4-inch wide) strips.
- Place strips on lined baking sheets, a few inches apart. Twist ends of strips to create a spiral. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes at 400-degrees F, until golden brown and puffed. Cool slightly. Serve right away or store covered until ready to serve.
Recipe from McCormick.