Blackeye Pea Salad Recipe
This simple Blackeye Pea Salad, also known as Redneck or Texas Caviar, is super scrumptious and perfect for an easy side dish or appetizer.
Blackeye Pea Salad is a simple side dish or appetizer that is a nutritional choice that is full of flavor. It can be quite addicting, to say the least, and fairly light in the calorie department too, which is always a good thing.
A few simple ingredients are all that is needed for this recipe: blackeye peas, purple/red onion, green onion, yellow bell pepper, cilantro, rice wine or white wine vinegar, canola oil, brown sugar, salt and pepper. The process is pretty simple. Basically, a bunch of chopping, a little mixing, and that’s it! And with bright, happy colors like the ones in this recipe, chopping and cutting can be therapeutic.
Once all of the chopping and mixing is done, you can serve it right away, or refrigerate and let everything mingle a bit until ready to serve. Personally, the salad does seem to taste better when it’s been given time to warm up a bit instead of straight out of the fridge. As an appetizer this salad is traditionally served with chips for dipping, but we also enjoy it with celery or cucumber for a lighter bite.
This recipe is a basic rendition of an old favorite. You can always add or substitute other types of peppers, onions or herbs. Maybe spice it up with a jalapeno, poblano or banana peppers for a bit of a kick? However you mix it, this Blackeye Pea Salad recipe is one to keep in your repertoire of quick and easy dishes. And it doesn’t hurt that it is yummy too!
Check out these other easy recipes featuring beans:
- Grilled Potato and Cannellini Bean Salad
- Italian Sausage Garbanzo Beans
- Easy Chicken and Black Bean Burritos
- Mexican Black Bean Pizza
Blackeye Pea Salad
This side dish or appetizer is sneaky good and super easy to make too!
- 2 – 15 ounce cans of blackeye peas, drained
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced (about 1/2 of medium onion)
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, diced (about 1/2 of pepper)
- 2 tablespoons green onion, chopped (about 3 green onions)
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves, rough chopped
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup rice wine or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Begin by draining the peas.
- Dice the purple/red onion, green onion, yellow bell pepper and rough chop the cilantro.
- Mix together the black-eyed peas, onion, pepper and cilantro in a bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk together the vinegar, oil, brown sugar, salt and pepper, pour over the black-eyed pea/onion/pepper combo, mix well to combine.
- Serve right away or refrigerate until ready to serve.
* This salad does tend to taste better when it’s be given time to warm up to room temperature instead of straight out of the fridge.
Originally published April 9, 2010.