Bush’s Beans Grilled Potato and Cannellini Bean Salad
Finding new and appealing side dishes that are easy enough to throw together for a weeknight meal has become a challenge for me. Quite honestly, as of late, baked sweet potato fries have graced our table a bit more than I’d like to admit. I can easily find myself in a rut making the same thing over and over again, so it being the first week of a new year, I’d thought I try something different for a change.
This recipe for Grilled Potato and Cannellini Bean Salad from Bush’s Beans looked simple enough, with no fussy or complicated ingredients. I don’t recall ever grilling potatoes, but was happy to find that I’m a big fan. I think grilling and roasting always bring out the best flavor in foods.
Grilled potatoes and onions pair perfectly with creamy Bush’s cannellini beans, and a simple mustard based vinaigrette. I was surprised at the flavor packed in such a simple dish. And easy too! We enjoyed it with steak, but it would be a nice compliment to chicken, fish, or even served with a green salad as a light lunch. And if you don’t have access to a grill, don’t let that keep you from trying this flavorful side dish. Instead, to cook the potatoes and onions you can use a grill pan stove top, a panini grill, or roast them in an oven.
What a great example this Grilled Potato and Cannellini Bean Salad recipe is of how making something new doesn’t have to be complicated. To discover more new things to try from Bush’s Beans, be sure to visit their collection of recipes to compliment any meal, and become part of the Bush’s Beans Facebook family too!
Go try something new for the new year! I’m glad I did. It was a tasty change of pace.
Bush’s Beans Grilled Potato and Cannellini Bean Salad Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large russet potato, thickly sliced
- 1 medium onion (red or white), peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can BUSH’S® Cannellini or Great Northern Beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 lemon, juiced or 3-4 drops of vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 12-inch x 12-inch piece of heavy duty aluminum foil (for grill version)
Directions for the grill:
- Turn up edges of aluminum foil to form a tray, set aside. Heat grill to medium.
- Brush potato and onion slices with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Cook directly on grill, turning frequently until cooked thoroughly but not charred.
- Remove grilled vegetables to aluminum foil tray. Separate onion rings; toss with beans, mustard, remaining oil and lemon juice or vinegar.
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Keep warm in foil tray until serving.
Directions for the stove top grill:
- Heat grill pan over medium-high heat. Toss potato and onion slices with 1 tablespoon of the oil in a medium bowl.
- Place potato and onion slices on grill pan. Cook 3-4 minutes on each side and return to bowl when finished.
- Stir in beans, mustard, remaining olive oil and lemon juice or vinegar. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm.
Directions for the stove top:
- Heat half the oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add potato and onion slices in one layer. Cook about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Turn heat to low. Stir in beans, mustard, remaining olive oil and lemon juice or vinegar. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm.
Recipe from BushBeans.com
(I am fortunate to have an ongoing relationship with the nice folks from Bush’s Beans. This post is sponsored by Bush’s Beans, but as always, all opinions are my own.)