Student Driver

My daughter is a new student driver. It’s all quite unsettling for me. She’s a good sport about it all, but I can only handle it in small amounts, on a weekend, on a back road with little traffic, with no intersections, and no large curves.

It seems like only yesterday, as a child, learning how to drive in an old pickup truck out in the middle of a field, sitting on a stack of pillows. So how can I have a teenage daughter learning how to drive a real car, on the real road, with real traffic? It’s just not right. It all seems so sudden.

But this…

This kind of student driving…

This could be the ticket.

Student Driver

I’m all about this.

Just couldn’t find a number anywhere on it to look into renting one of these getups.

Perfect I say.

If you know of a number to call, hook me up please.

; )

Comments

I am definitely not looking forward to those days! Like you, I learned to drive in a field and on nearly vacant roads that stretched for miles. Now I live where there’s actually a population. Please send me the info if you ever track this one down. Love it!!

Love it! My oldest son will be 16 in June, where does the time go? We told him he could get a license when he’s 22! Ha! Ha! He is a good driver, he learned to drive on the ranch but turning him loose scares the daylights out of me!

I’m with you on this one! Can’t even begin to imagine my baby behind the wheel of a car. I think I’ll check into one of those getups for when Little Buddy starts to drive, too. I bet I could buy one now for him to practice. :)

cbp says

Oh my… it can’t be time for this! Seems like yesterday she was in elementary school and now this?!? I remember being relieved to be leaving the big city of St.Louis for small town SC when it was time for my youngest daughter to learn to drive and how surprised I was to find that it didn’t matter WHERE we lived when it came to feeling anxious when she got behind the wheel. It didn’t seem to matter that she was a VERY good driver. It was all about ME giving up control. When I started using the blindfold and muzzle and iPod she gave me as MY BABY’S LEARNING TO DRIVE gift I began to enjoy the ride! There’s HOPE for you too!

Haha, so funny! You know in the UK, Amy, they make all the student drivers drive with a giant “L” sticker in red on their vehicle for an ENTIRE year. And you can’t even start driver training until you’re 18. I think maybe you should tell the kid you’re taking on those rules for your house! I remember learning to drive my grandparents’ little red Nissan (which they referred to as “The Little Red Car”) at our favorite camping place. Around the RV park it had a circular road with lots of speed bumps, so we couldn’t go very fast. Man, you brought back some great memories for me of my very exasperated grandfather as I ground the clutch of the Little Red Car. Great way to start Monday :)

Hilarious! If you do find a number could you kindly pass it my way? I’ll be in the hot… I mean “passenger” seat in a year in a half *gulp*.

LOL………..Allison can get her permit in 3 mos! I’m DREADING it!!

around here many people put “Student Driver” in their back windows……but you can’t see it if you have tinted windows (which we do)…so I’m LOVING this idea! haha

Ha. That is perfect! Nothing like being the biggest thing on the road to protect the baby girl. Good luck with the student driving!

LOL…the next time you are in town I’ll show you where to shop :) Not quite a tank but something very similar and right up your alley. Our friends bought one for their son for the same exact reason. M1 already knows that he is getting one as well.

OMG LOL! I think can totally relate to that unsettled feeling, even though my son is only four. Real car on a real road! The horror for a mother!

Oh, man, do I ever remember those days! As bad as the learning is, just wait until the first time she walks out the door with the keys in her hand going somewhere ALL BY HERSELF!! Yeah, just giving you something to look foward to… you’re welcome.

If ya get the number, send it my way. My daughter gets her license (if she passes the test!) next Thursday Say a prayer. ;)

Attie says

i believe that these vehicles that say student driver on them are used by “students” in the military learning how to drive these machines and are taking them to a place where they can properly learn how to drive them in a place of combat.

Nothing prepares you for the horror of your child starting to drive! This seems like the perfect antidote. Thanks for making me laugh about something that normally makes me want to cry :) x