Pear Crisp Recipe

Share on Google+Pin on PinterestShare on StumbleUponTweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook

Pear Crisp

“Pears For Sale” read the sign posted in the front yard down the road. Instantly I knew I needed to bake something. After a quick search, a recipe for Pear Crisp was the first one I had all ingredients for on hand.

I wish we had a pear tree. My husband speaks of a pear tree in his grandmother’s yard that grew the best tasting pears. I guess I’ll have to continue to dream of the day we can walk out in our own yard one fine fall day and pick a pear. Until then, our local grocer, or the guy down the street, is as good as it gets. Maybe this fall will be the time to plant one?

Pear Crisp

Whether you have your own pear tree, or like me have to find them elsewhere, this Pear Crisp (or cobbler), is as yummy as it gets.

Adapted from my SC homeboy, Tyler Florence, this crisp is full of warm fall flavors that will leave your home smelling nice and cozy. It’s the perfect way to usher in fall y’all.

Pear Crisp RecipeJust like any cobbler, or crisp, the ingredients are basic.

And the process couldn’t be easier; chop, mix, bake.

Much, much too easy to pass up. And tasty too.

Pear Crisp

Enjoy!

Pear Crisp

Adapted from Tyler’s Ultimate: Brilliant Simple Food to Make Any Time by Tyler Florence.
Serves: Makes about 4-6 servings.
  • 4 Bartlett pears
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • ¾ cup brown sugar; divided
  • ½ cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour; divided
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon; divided
  • ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
  • ½ cup butter (I used salted, but Tyler’s called for unsalted)
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
  • ½ cup oatmeal
  1. Preheat oven to 350° F and butter preferred baking dish.
  2. Peel the pears and cut in half, the use a spoon or a melon baller to remove core/seeds. Slice lengthwise into smaller pieces; approximately eighths or smaller.
  3. Place cut pears in a bowl and toss with the vanilla extract.
  4. To the bowl of pears, add ¼ cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger, toss again to coat pears well. Place coated pears in baking dish.
  5. In a bowl combine the butter, the remaining ½ cup brown sugar, the remaining ½ cup all purpose flour, the remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon, salt and oatmeal together. Use your hands if you need to in order for the butter to be incorporated well with the other ingredients.
  6. Spread mixture over the pears in the baking dish and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until pears are very tender, and the top has browned. Be sure to check pears for tenderness and increase cook time by a few minutes at a time.

Comments

This makes me yearn for fall to come in full force. We have a pear tree in our backyard that we refer to as our “Charlie Brown tree” b/c it is tiny, but produces so many pears that it looks as though it’s drooping branches are going to break. I will definitely have to use some of our pears to make this crisp.

Pears are one of my favorite, favorite fall fruits; and don’t you just love that with each changing season comes an old friend like pears? This crisp looks perfect for fall days and lazy fall weekends – throw in some cranberries and I think it would be perfect for the Thanksgiving table!

Liz @ Blog is the New Black says

Pear crisp looks like a great idea, and something different. THanks!

I love seeing signs like that. That’s how we always find sour and sweet cherries in the summer. : ) Your crisp looks wonderful and the photos are perfect.

Oh my word, this looks heavenly, Amy. We have pear trees, but honestly the deer get more of our pears than I do. But sometimes I can sneak some before they get them all. And this is what I’m going to make!

And your photographs look like a magazine.

This looks so good! My mom’s favorite fruit is the pear…I might have to make this for her as a nice surprise!

Katie says

Looks tasty! I don’t think I’ve tried a pear crisp before, just apple-related ones. I think it would be really delicious.

the country cook @ Delightful Country Cookin' says

That sounds wonderful – I would love a pear tree, too!

Lovely and inspirational! I’m wanting to make this in individual portions for an event. I can bake it in small glass jam jars, right? I think I’ve seen this before.

Beautiful photo’s! I love pears and this crisp sounds amazing. If this can’t get you in the mood for fall I don’t know what else would.

Ok, that’s it… I’m making cobbler. Looks drooly.

I wish I had ANY sort of fruit tree in my yard. Well, I have lemon & lime, but those don’t seem to spew any fruit. Need gardening training, I guess. I can’t seem to grow anything besides mint, and isn’t that “technically” a weed?

Sallie says

Beautiful site and gorgeous photos. Can’t wait to try this recipe. Thank you for sharing.

Paula - bell'alimento says

I just happened to have picked up pears at the market yesterday. Lucky me.