Rice Krispies Cheese Crisps Recipe
This easy Cheese Crisps recipe, with Rice Krispies, makes savory cheesy bites perfect for holiday parties or tailgating.
As I was hunting down my Aunt Jill’s Cheese Straw recipe in one of my Aunt Carole’s cookbooks, I ran across this recipe for Cheese Crisps (also known as Easy Cheese Puffs) which my Aunt Carole had noted was my cousin Hal’s favorite. I couldn’t recall ever trying these CheeseCrisps, made with Rice Krispies, but knew I must have had them at some point at one of our many family gatherings, so Aunt Jill’s Cheese Straws had to wait a day to try this easy recipe out. Plus, I figured if it was a favorite of Hal’s, it was worth checking out.
Hal is my first cousin, sister to Beth, son of my Aunt Carole and Uncle Buddy. My Aunt Carole is my mother’s only sibling, and growing up my sister and I, spent many summer and holiday breaks with Beth and Hal. What was funny is that everyone always thought that my sister, Carole (named after my Aunt Carole) and Beth were sisters since they looked so much alike (dark hair, light eyes, long and lean), which left Hal and me as the obvious other set of siblings. We could totally pass as brother and sister, what with his year-round tanned looking skin, and my alabaster blinding paleness … yes we were total lookalikes. Yeah, not so much.
Anyway, I suppose we did have a lot in common back then. I was a tomboy. He was … a boy. So, we had that. If Hal felt like arm wrestling, well, I was his girl.
Although Hal and I don’t arm wrestle anymore, we did both grow up to have some things in common. For example, we both like to cook. He’s been known to make a mean batch of cookies and his pecan pies don’t last long, so when I saw that these Cheese Crisps were one of his faves I knew I could count on them to be good. And they are! They’re good AND easy too. Crunchy, cheesy, with a hint of spice, these will be snatched up and gone before you know it. Of course, you could always arm wrestle over the last one.
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups puffed rice cereal (like Rice Krispies)
- ½ teaspoon ground red pepper
- Preheat oven to 325-degrees F. Line baking sheets with baking parchment or silicone lined baking mat.
- Combine all ingredients.* Form into small balls, approximately 1-inch in diameter. Placed on lined baking sheets about 1-inch apart. Flatten each ball slightly with a fork that has been dipped in water.
- Bake at 325-degrees F for 12-14 minutes, or until lightly browned.