This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Okay, I’m going to cut right to the chase, this candy popcorn, what I’m calling Party Popcorn for a lack of a better term, is the quickest tastiest thing I’ve made in a while. And there are reasons for that. With just a few ingredients (as few as three, depending on what route you take), and not really any cooking, just some melting, this is a fast favorite for me now. Perfect for a party of any kind. And to think of all of my children’s birthday parties in years gone by that I could’ve used this one for.
For the popcorn, you can pop your own (this is a good method from Simply Recipes), or take a short cut like I did, and use microwave popcorn. I like Orville Redenbacher’s Natural, Simply Salted. It had the least amount of crud I could find in the way of microwave popcorn, and just the right amount of salt to balance the sweetness.
Basically pop the popcorn, melt the white candy/chocolate, gently mix them together. I used my hands, clean hands, of course. If you’re using your hands to mix, be aware that melted candy coating is hot-ish. Not scalding mind you, but you’ll want to work swiftly. A large baking sheet worked great for a surface to combine the popcorn and melted candy. Once mixed, sprinkle with your favorite sprinkle colors before candy hardens. I had multi-color nonpareils on hand, but wouldn’t your favorite team’s colors be perfect for a Super Bowl party, or tailgating? Or customize to match the birthday girl or boy’s cake. The fun never ends when sprinkles are involved.
I hope you enjoy this easy one. And party on with your popcorn!
Party Popcorn Recipe
- 6-7 ounces (weight) white candy melts, melted (substitute your favorite color, or chocolate)
- 8-9 cups popped popcorn, lightly salted (I used Orville Redenbacher's Natural, Simply Salted, 1 pack makes 9 cups popped)
- On a large baking sheet or bowl, gently mix in the melted white candy/chocolate into the popped popcorn.
- Now for the sprinkles! Sprinkle the sprinkles before melted candy/chocolate hardens.
- Gently mix together before candy/chocolate hardens.
Makes about 8-9 cups.