Beef Short Ribs Recipe
These savory Beef Short Ribs cooked with a medley of potatoes, carrots, onions and a blend of herbs is perfect for a Sunday dinner, or with a little bit of planning, a comforting weeknight meal.
I originally shared this recipe five years ago and thought it was due for a encore, and of course with the cooler weather upon us (finally!) that hankering for savory stews and roasts kicks in. Not only are they a big comfort food around here, but the simplicity of being able to toss basic ingredients together with minimal preparation into a pot, then let it do it’s thing is certainly nothing to scoff at when the schedule picks up as it normally does this time of the year.
Chuck roast is usually our go-to for these slow cook beef dishes but our market just happened to have some beautiful boneless short ribs that we decided to try instead. It turned out fantastic. Short Ribs have an even richer flavor than a chuck roast. Plus, short ribs pair very well with the earthiness of the root vegetables and herbs. This dish is hearty, tender flavorful. So when you’re ready to try a little fancier version of that delicious Sunday staple, here’s a simple take on a roast, using boneless beef short ribs (of course, you can always use the regular bone-in version too), along with some root vegetables and flavorful herbs.
The ingredients are basic and after some simple chopping and a quick browning of the beef, you can forget about this roast for a bit while you tackle Mount Washmore or vacuum underneath your sofa cushions. Enjoy!
Beef Short Ribs Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless beef short ribs (or bone-in short ribs)
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef or vegetable broth
- 1 large purple sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 1/2" cubes (regular sweet potato is fine too)
- 2 pounds small red potatoes, cut in half
- 1 large onion, rough chopped
- 5 carrots, cut into 1-2" pieces
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon sage
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Preheat oven 350-degrees F.
- Stovetop, heat oil in heavy, oven-safe pan or dutch oven over medium/high. Brown beef approximately 1 minute per side.
- Remove pan from heat. Add all ingredients, cover and place in 350-degrees F oven.
- After 1 hour, turn oven off and leave covered dish in closed oven for 3 hours. Cooking will continue with residual heat, so no peeking.
More delicious roast recipes:
Originally posted October 22, 2010. Updated October 15, 2015.