Avocado Fries Recipe
These Avocado Fries made with a spicy beer batter are so delicious. They’re perfect for an appetizer or side dish.
We don’t fry food all the time. It’s a sometimes kind of thing. But when we do we tend to get carried away and fry an array of things. Last time we made Fried Pickles we made some Avocado Fries too. They were over-the-top delicious. So over the weekend while we were in the frying mode making Corn Dogs, we just so happened to have avocados on hand (like we always do) and fried some up. It seemed like the thing to do.
Let me just say, this is not diet food. Yes, it has a green fruit involved, and, yes, avocado is packed full of healthful benefits. But this is not health food. Unless I’m missing something, and if I am, please someone clue me in. Again, all things in moderation, right?
If you’re an avocado fan, I think you’ll find these Avocado Fries, with a crispy spiced up beer batter, hard to resist. So go ahead and plan on making a double batch. You’ll be glad you did.
A few helpful tips for Avocado Fry success:
- Lightly coat avocado slices in flour or corn starch before dredging them in the batter. It helps the batter stick better.
- Keep the oil temperature consistent to avoid greasy results. An inexpensive candy thermometer will help monitor the oil temperature. Guessing when the oil is the correct temperature is never a good idea.
- The right tools make all the difference in a smooth frying experience or a huge mess. A large spoon strainer or inexpensive Chinese spider is so helpful when deep frying at home.
- oil for frying (vegetable or peanut)
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 avocado,* peeled, seeded and sliced into ¼-inch thick pieces
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (Greek seasoning or your favorite seasoning medley may be substituted)
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- ½ cup beer
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat to 375-degrees F. Oil should be at least 2-inches deep.
- Spread ¼ cup of the all-purpose flour on a small baking sheet or plate. Lightly coat avocado slices in flour.
- In a shallow bowl or rimmed plate, whisk together remaining flour, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add hot sauce and beer; mix until smooth.
- Working in batches, add coated avocado to the batter, gently toss to coat. Carefully add batter coated avocado to the hot oil one at a time. Fry for about 1½-2 minutes or until golden. Remove and let drain on paper towels. Monitor oil temperature as batches are frying to maintain consistent 375-degrees F.