What better way to ring in the cold weather season than with a steaming cup of hot cocoa and a cute Peppermint Rice Krispies Snowball?
There’s just something about that cool, sweet punch of peppermint on the tip of your tongue that makes the frosty temps of winter a bit more welcome. I was part of a team who made these for a Rice Krisipies® Treat challenge. Crushed up candy canes and white chocolate were added to the traditional treat recipe. A few sprinkles of holiday cheer, and a candy cane hanger completes the confection.
This treat can be made one of two ways. You can either melt the white chocolate chips along with the peppermint into the marshmallow mixture for a quick and simple sweet bite or leave them out and use a melted chocolate coating to harness your holiday sprinkle creativity. You can also try using a fun shaped cookie cutter to inspire your own unique hanger shapes like this adorable snowman.
These peppermint inspired treats can become a sweet addition to your winter holiday traditions! We sure had fun making them and sharing them with our kids.
- ¼ Cup Butter
- 1 10 Oz. Package Marshmallows
- ⅓ Cup Crushed Candy Canes
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies® Cereal
- 2 14 Oz. Bags White Candy Melts
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium low heat.
- Add in the marshmallows and allow them to melt completely.
- Add in the crushed candy canes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the Rice Krispies®.
- If making balls, pull out heaping tablespoons from the pan and roll into balls. Add a candy can into the center of each ball.
- If making cut out shapes, press the Rice Krispies® mixture into a pan prepared with cooking spray.
- Allow to cool for about five to ten minutes and then cut out your favorite shapes.
- Add a candy cane into the top end of the treat.
- Place your finished treats into the fridge for about 15 minutes to cool down.
- Melt the candy melts according to package directions and add in the vegetable oil to thin the mixture.
- Dip your cooled treats into the chocolate, sprinkle or decorate, and set aside to cool and harden completely.
- Note: For a quicker version, simply substitute one 12 oz. bag of white chocolate chips for the melts and oil. Add the chips in with the marshmallows and heat until completely melted. Proceed with adding the candy canes and Rice Krispies®. You can then roll your balls and add sprinkles to the still warm treat.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post from Rice Krispies® and The Motherhood. Each team member was compensated for their time, and supplies for projects, but as always, all opinions are our own.