This fresh Corn Salad recipe is made with fresh sweet corn, chopped cucumber, tomato, onions and fresh basil, and tossed with a zesty dressing. It’s super quick to make and the perfect light salad for summertime.
I remember as a little girl sitting in the back of a pickup truck shucking corn with my cousins in Georgia on a warm day in July. It’s still a clear picture in my mind. As a child the corn seemed like sweet gold as we pulled the husks, and tender silks from each ear that was still warm from the sun. We knew it would be turned into something tasty by Nanny. Hopefully creamed corn, my favorite.
What I didn’t know then, but have learned now, is that fresh corn, like most other fresh produce, is hard to come by. Usually it’s been shipped from here to there, sitting for days, even weeks, on trucks until it reaches it’s final destination. So, fresh corn, picked right from the field and cooked within a few hours was and still is a special treat. That’s why when my husband showed up last week with several dozen ears of Silver Queen Corn just picked from his parent’s farm I was quite excited to say the least.
Silver Queen has become my favorite variety of corn. My in-laws used to grow several acres of it as a side-business to their larger farming endeavors. People would come from far and wide to pick their own, or purchase dozens picked early that very same day before the sun was as high as a rooster’s eye. I think my father-in-law and mother-in-law enjoyed seeing the happy faces of their customers more than any little profit they may have made. To provide fresh food to a community must be such a great feeling.
Since my in-laws retired from farming full time, they still grow a good bit of corn in their garden. Lucky us. We still get the benefit of their hard work. Something I don’t take for granted.
As quickly as we unpacked the dozens of ears sent our way, I had a list in my head of what it would be used for. Of course, simply boiled corn with a pat of butter and a sprinkling of black pepper is mighty fine on it’s own, but some of that corn had to keep company with a few other fresh friends picked from our garden: cucumbers, tomatoes, and fresh basil. I knew this easy Corn Salad recipe would be the perfect way to bring the all together.
This Corn Salad is so simple, but packed with flavor. I can’t explain how addicting the combination is. It is that for sure. Sweet corn, crunchy cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and fresh basil are tossed with a simple but so flavorful dressing made of olive oil, lime juice, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Take one bite, and I bet you won’t be able to resist another and another. See for yourself! Make this Corn Salad soon.
- 1½ cups corn (6 ears of corn)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (or lemon juice)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup fresh diced tomato
- ½ cup finely chopped cucumber
- ¼ cup finely chopped sweet or red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- Cook corn in a large pot of salted boiling water for about 2 minutes. Drain, rinse in cold water. Cut kernels from cobs. Place kernels in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, lime juice, salt, pepper and garlic powder; set aside.
- Add remaining ingredients to the large bowl with the corn, toss together. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to mingle, or refrigerate covered until chilled or ready to serve.