BBQ Chicken takes a turn on top of pizza with this easy homemade BBQ Chicken Pizza Recipe. Easily use leftover chicken to make this super tasty pizza in no time. It’s certainly quicker than ordering take out!
Summertime means many wonderful things, one of which is barbecue. This savory, southern staple can be dripping off the bone or pulled apart and served in a bun. The best part is, it keeps well as a leftover to be tried and tasted in whatever configuration your heart might desire.
Well our hearts desired some dang good barbecue pizza, which is exactly what we ended up with. Barbecue sauce sure is favorite flavor of many people, and it was just the perfect thing to throw on some pizza dough after a fun day of summertime activities (um … shopping). Use leftover barbecue chicken (or pork … or beef) to make to add flavorful protein so desired in a hearty and satisfying pizza. Plus this grilled BBQ Chicken Pizza can be cooked in a charcoal grill, which is the perfect and proper match, if you ask me. There’s nothing like that wood-fired flavor to take pizza over the top.
We’ve enjoyed making pizza at home for a while now (check out this Pesto Chicken Pizza recipe) and find a few handy dandy tools make it easier and and a much more smooth process somehow makes the pizza tastes that much better.
A few helpful tools for making pizza at home:
- Pizza Peel (or paddle): This large spatula like tool makes it easy to slide pizza on and off for baking. We even prepare pizza right on the peel and serve right off of it too.
- Pizza Stone: A pizza stone helps to cook the crust evenly and gives it a crunchy bottom. Say goodbye to soggy bottomed pizza! It can be used in an oven or grill.
- Pizza Cutter: Whether pizza wheel or a large pizza cutter, a good pizza cutter is a useful tool. Plus a pizza wheel makes a terrific tool for cutting sandwiches too.
- Corn Meal: Corn Meal really isn’t a tool, but we’ve found it invaluable when making a pizza crust. It helps the crust easily slide off to bake, plus it adds a bit of crunch too.
I don’t have a pizza dough recipe here yet, but check out this Perfect Pizza Dough from my friend Robyn over at AddaPinch.com.
- pizza dough, enough for 2 crusts, approximately 10-inches each (about 1 pound uncooked dough)
- about 2 teaspoons olive oil (just enough to brush on crusts)
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- 8 ounces roasted chicken, shredded/cut up (about 1½ cups)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Preheat grill or oven to 500-degrees F.
- Prepare pizza crusts.
- Brush pizza crusts with olive oil.
- Divide barbecue sauce between crusts and spread evenly. Repeat with bacon, chicken and cheese.
- Place pizzas on a pizza stone or directly on grate and bake for 600-degrees F for about 8 minutes or until done.