Peach Wontons

Share on Google+Pin on PinterestShare on StumbleUponTweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook

Peach Wontons

East meets South in these crispy Peach Wontons. I’ve been wanting to try wontons for some time but have hesitated thinking they’d be a mess to deal with, but really, they were easy to fold and quick to fry up. And they disappeared even quicker!

Wanna see how these Peach Wontons are made? To begin, make sure you start with ripe peaches. Nothing worse than a dessert gone bad because of unripe fruit.

Peel and slice up the peaches, then toss them all in a large bowl with the flour and brown sugar.

Peach Wontons

Next, lay out the wonton wrappers. The process will go much more smoothly by having an assembly line set up. Drop some sliced peaches and a tad bit of that yummy peach juice in the center of each wonton wrapper.

Peach Wontons

With your finger wet the outside edge of the wonton wrapper. The water acts like glue, helping to seal the wonton up. You want to take time to make sure the wonton wrapper is sealed up tight. Any leakage will cause splattering during frying.

Peach Wontons

After applying the water to the edges, fold one corner over to the other corner and gently press down edges, again to seal up like a pretty present. You can stop there and proceed to the oil, or do an additional fold, whatever tickles your fancy. I’ve seen wontons wrapped in so many different ways. Do whatever you’d like, again, just make sure it’s sealed up thoroughly.

I continued the folding by dabbing the outside corners with more water and folding them up to meet with the middle corner. Yeah, real technical directions, huh?

Now on to the oil. Add canola or vegetable oil, about 1″ deep, in a heavy bottomed pan over medium-high heat to 375°F. Have a paper towel lined pan or plate ready for wontons to rest when you remove them from the oil. The wontons will be fried in batches. Lightly dry any moisture from the wontons with a paper towel before frying, then carefully slide wontons into oil and fry for about 2-3 minutes turning as they fry. Once the wontons reach a lovely golden brown, remove from oil to your paper towel lined pan to wait for their friends.

Peach Wontons

Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Peach Wontons

Let cool ever so slightly and enjoy!

Peach Wontons

These Peach Wontons would also be wonderful dipped in a caramel, whipped cream or brown sugar bourbon sauce. OR all of the above!

Peach Wontons

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

East meets South in these crispy Peach Wontons. I've been wanting to try wontons for some time but have hesitated thinking they'd be a mess to deal with, but really, they were easy to fold and quick to fry up. And they disappeared even quicker!
Serves: Makes about 50-55 wontons.
  • 2 pounds ripe peaches, peeled and sliced/diced (about 8 peaches)
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • Wonton wrappers (1 12 oz. pack should do it.)
  • Canola or vegetable oil, enough for about 1" of oil in your pan
  • Powdered sugar for sprinkling
  1. Slice up the peach and toss in a large bowl with flour and brown sugar.
  2. Lay out the wonton wrappers, drop about a tablespoon of sliced/diced peaches and a tad bit of peach juice in the center of each wonton wrapper.
  3. Using your finger or pastry brush, wet the outside edge of the wonton wrapper.
  4. Fold one corner of the wrapper over to the other corner, and gently press down to seal edges. Make sure to seal edges thoroughly to avoid the oil splattering. Add an additional fold, if you'd like by dabbing the corners with water and folding them up to meet in the middle.
  5. Heat 1" of canola or vegetable oil in a heavy bottomed pan over medium-high heat to 375°F. Carefully slide wontons into oil and fry for about 2-3 minutes, turning as they fry. When they reach a lovely golden brown, remove from oil to a paper towel lined pan.
  6. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
  7. Let cool ever so slightly and enjoy!
  8. Makes about 50-55 wontons.

Here are a few other peach recipes you may want to try if you’ve got more ripe peaches hanging around…

Peach Salsa

Meeting Street Cake

Fried Nectarines

Comments

Blog is the New Black says

Um ok, WEIRD! I just made this recipe, pretty much to a T, thinking I was very original! So strange!!! :) Yours look great!

Marlys says

The look wonderful…. Think I will give these a try when I can find some good ripe peaches… not easy to do here in U.P. Michigan

Nikki says

I’m so excited to try these! We just bought 25 lbs of peaches and I’ve been looking to try something different with them. ;) Thanks Amy!

Jennifer @ Jane Deere says

Oh YUM! I love how quick and easy this is…and fresh peaches! Nothing’s better this time of year!

Oh my heck Amy, these look FANTASTIC! My mouth is watering for peaches now……I have some fresh/frozen in the freezer I think I need to dig out and make these!

Love these! I have wanted to make another trip to Gaffney soon…to the farm stand I bought the best peaches and blackberries last year. The peaches were the best I have tasted in a long time.

These wontons look irresistible!

We live in north China (transplant from Greenville, SC) where the specialty is dumplings, pan fried, steamed, or boiled. I did a similar thing with some fresh dumpling wrappers I got at the farmer’s market. Stuffed them with strawberries and chocolate. Not at all Chinese, but man, were they good!!

Heck yeah! B likes anything fried in a wonton. Seriously, we do leftovers fried in wontons sometimes. Like mashed potatoes, veggies and chicken.

But this sounds so delicious.

Shaz@feedingmykidsbetter.com says

Looks and sounds awesome. Love asian-inspired dishes (being an ethnic Chinese living in cosmopolitan Singapore).

I never would have thought to do this with peaches – LOVE!! The dusting of sugar is so pretty too :)

I am so happy to see this recipe!! These peach wontons are awesome. Loved your blog and your photography!! Do visit mine if you love Asian (especially Indian) food. Shall come back again very soon!

Never seen deep-fried peaches before, but it’s clearly the season. They look absolutely delicious.

Amy, this recipe is pure genius. I wish we lived closer. I’d gladly trade some nutella frozen yogurt.

Loving the looks of those peach wontons you made – I can almost taste them :). Wishing the peaches were ready here in New York.

These look amazing! I’ve been making lots of peach recipes lately, but I’d never thought to make wontons!

I have always been afraid of wonton anything. However, these look easy to make and very tasty. Think I will be finding me some peaches and wraps sometime soon this week. Thanks for the recipe!

Mmmm. This looks really intriguing. I’ve never tried making wontons, but you make them look easy.

What a fun way to use one of my fav fruits! The kiddos would adore these. I will try and talk myself into having the energy to make them very soon! ;) For tonight however, I think I’ll stick with my idea for “Lazy Peach-Blackberry Pie”. ;)

Just wanted to tell you that I am planning to make these as part of a dessert buffet for a big party I am having this weekend. I will be sure to snap a picture and send it to you :)

Lindsay says

I made these last night and served them with vanilla ice cream…heaven. They were like little, hot peach pies. Nummm..Thank you!

These look so good, but I want to save some fat and bake them instead, however every time I make anything in wonton wrappers and bake them the wonton edges get really dried out and burn slightly. Not good eats. I was wondering if you had any ideas to keep the wonton edges moist during baking? Thanks and great blog!

Hey Tim,

Hmmmm…not sure about baking them. Maybe brush a little egg white or egg yolk/water combo on them, or perhaps a light coating with cooking spray or high temp oil? It would certainly need to be something that would hold the moisture in and help them crisp up. Not sure if that helps you, but please let me know if you figure something out. It would be nice to enjoy them without the frying involved.

Amy

Some can be bought over-the-counter and others
    can be bought only after a prescription from the
    doctor is provided. These people tend to be either recreational marijuana users or are people
    who are on the pro-legalization side of the debate. Acyclovir medication
    proves useful to treat not only genital herpes infection but also other infections such as
    cold sores, shingles, and chicken pox. Now, brace yourself for a statistic that boggles the mind.

Here is my page; international removals