Hibachi Style Garlic Steak and Shrimp
I’ve found that I can easily become a creature of habit, especially when it comes to our weeknight meals. Don’t get me wrong, our family looks forward to the regular dishes that appear weekly on our table. There’s nothing wrong with regular. Regular can be comforting, but sometimes you just need to switch things up, and try something new.
This week wraps up the Weeknight Wins by Sauté Express® Sauté Starter Blogger Challenge I’ve been posting about for the last month. The last challenge is “Express Yourself,” which pushed me out of that regular dinner rut. The challenge was to get creative with Sauté Express® Sauté Starter and come up with something out of the ordinary, or unexpected.
I answered this week’s challenge by beginning with a flavor profile that our family enjoys mostly when we go out to eat: Asian! I rarely cook Asian-inspired meals at home during the week. I don’t know why. Asian cuisine isn’t typically difficult. It’s just something that I don’t think about during the week, again, falling back on our “regulars.” I decided on trying to create a Hibachi Style Garlic Steak and Shrimp combo using the Garlic & Herb Sauté Express® Sauté Starter.
In addition to the seasonings in the Garlic & Herb Sauté Express® Sauté Starter, I added a little soy sauce sautéed with beef, shrimp, sugar snap peas, yellow pepper, onion, and sesame seeds, all served over rice.
It was a hit. I think my teenage daughter (who thinks of herself as quite the Asian cuisine connoisseur at such a young age) was kind of surprised that it turned out so well, and so quickly too. There’s no way we could have ordered Chinese takeout, then make the round trip to pick it up in under 30 minutes. No way. Next time I may add some of our favorite spicy sriracha hot sauce to spice things up a bit.
Try this one, y’all. I think you’ll like it.
Hibachi Style Garlic Steak and Shrimp Recipe
- 4 Garlic & Herb Sauté Express® Sauté Starter squares
- 1 pound skirt steak, flank steak, or other cut of beef, thinly cut
- 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced (yellow or sweet onion may be substituted)
- 1/2 yellow/golden bell pepper (red or orange would be excellent, too)
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas or snow peas (in pods)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 cup cooked rice
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt Garlic & Herb Sauté Express® Sauté Starter Squares until they begin to bubble.
- Add beef and cook 30 seconds each side. Scoot beef to one side of the pan to make room for the shrimp. Add shrimp and cook 1 minute each side. Remove beef and shrimp, and set aside, covered.
- Let pan heat back up and add soy sauce. Whisk for about 20–30 seconds.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add onion, bell pepper, peas, and sesame seeds and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low. Add beef and shrimp back to pan, stir and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Serve over cooked rice.