Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Cake
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Cake was calling my name from the freezer. Loudly. It had to be stopped. And so it was.
I’m not like that with all desserts. Usually after a few bites, I’m satisfied, and could give or take another serving. Not this Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Cake. No sirree. But I say if you’re going to consume calories make them count. And this certainly did. It was like a giant Oreo, but only better.
In the past I’ve paid for ice cream cakes for special occasions, but after the success of this simple, yet decadent and devil-ish Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Cake, I’ll making them in the future. It really was quite easy. Baking the cake was the most difficult part. Of course, if in a hurry, a store bought cake could certainly be used.
For your next celebration, try a Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Cake. What a fun birthday cake it would make. Remember: birthday calories don’t count. So when you’re ready to celebrate, have at it!
A few Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Cake notes:
– I used my favorite chocolate pound cake recipe. The same recipe I used in the Chocolate Muffins with Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting. One of the 2 loaf cakes that it makes when divided between 2 loaf 9×4″ pans was used for this ice cream cake recipe. This chocolate pound cake recipe is irresistible. My daughter thinks the cake alone tastes like ice cream. It’s my favorite! P.S. Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder is worth taking the time to find for this cake recipe. I always keep it stocked.
– Work quickly when putting the cake together. Ice cream has a tendency to melt. 😉 So be prepared with all pieces and parts ready to assemble.
– Easily substitute fruit or other cookies for the Oreos, or delete the cookies altogether. Another flavor of ice cream or cake could be used as well to create your own ice cream cake creation.
Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Cake Recipe
Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Cake
Make your own ice cream cake with the easy recipe.
- 1 9x4" loaf chocolate pound cake (I used my favorite chocolate pound cake recipe
- 5 cups (or thereabouts) vanilla ice cream (I used little less than 1 1/2 quart)
- 18 Oreos
- Optional: 1 cup whipped cream
- Line a loaf pan that is the same size as the pound cake being used with wax paper.
- Slice the pound cake length-wise into 3 equal layers.
- Place a layer of the cake in the bottom of the wax paper lined loaf pan.
- Spread about one third of the ice cream, slightly softened, over the cake.
- Sprinkle a layer of crushed Oreos/chocolate cream-filled cookies over the ice cream; gently press into the ice cream.
- Repeat sequence twice more until you've built 3 layers of each
- Gently press a layer of wax paper over ice cream cake to seal.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in freezer until firm.
- Optional: When ready to serve, top with layer of whipped cream, and more crushed Oreos/chocolate cream-filled cookies.
- Cut into slices and enjoy!
(This post contains affiliate links.)
Being a cookies & cream lover, only seeing this picture is making me drool!
just pure perfection! you don’t need anything else than a very big slice of that cake! haha.
I want to make this! Do you think using cookies and cream ice cream would taste good or be too much? I’ve just had “oreo” cakes that taste like chocolate cake so I want to make sure it tastes like oreos!
What’s the easiest way to remove from pan?
If you line the pan with wax paper as shown and leave longer edges hanging out, they can be used to lift the cake gently out.
Late to the party but I stumbled across this recipe while looking for something to make for my husband’s birthday. Cookies and cream is his favourite and when I presented this to him he LOVED it! I’m already booked to make a strawberry ice cream/vanilla cake version for his best friend’s birthday next month, thanks so much for this great recipe.
Yay! So happy he enjoyed it. And what a fabulous idea for a strawberry/vanilla version … that totally makes me hungry!
I made this for my daughters 12th birthday yesterday. We celebrated today and it is by far the best homemade cake recipe I’ve ever had. I ate quite a bit of the 2nd loaf after it came out of the oven yesterday. Everyone loved it! Thanks for the recipe. (Sorry for the late reply on this post) 😉
This looks delicious. Just one question though, I want to make it for my boyfriends 23rd birthday which will be on a Thursday but I am going out of town the days prior to that and would only have time to make the complete cake and get it in the freezer on the Sunday before. Will 4 days of it being in the freezer make it lose it’s taste or become somewhat freezer burnt? I desperately want to make this as a surprise but am hesitant about leaving it in the freezer so long before being able to serve it.
I think if you wrap it tightly with several layers of plastic wrap and maybe even stick the whole thing in a large freezer zip top bag you should be okay.
I’m telling my mum to make me one right now!
Tried this yday..it was a superhit.plus sooo easy to make.thank you for sharin the recipe
Yes you can, Laura.
The pound cake link goes to chocolate muffins, is this the same recipe?
Yes it is, Amanda! Sorry for any confusion.
How long do you cook the pound cake?
Could I cut the cake recipe in half to make only one loaf and keep the rest of the recipe the same?
That should work. Let me know how it turns out!
My oh my this was DELICIOUS!! The chocolate pound cake recipe was amazing. Never had that flavor poundcake before. Everyone at my sons party loved it. Kids & adults. Thank you for sharing!
I love anything relates to ice cream 🙂 Can’t wait to try this recipe. Thank you for sharing!!
I am wondering how long to let it sit out before cutting it ?
Cut it soon after removing from the freezer. Place a knife in a glass of hot water. Carefully wipe the knife off and use it to cut the cake.
Hi Amy, would you have any suggestions as to how to adapt this recipe to feed 25-30 for a birthday party? Or would you suggest just making 3-4 of these cakes? Thanks for any help!
Thanks for this wonderful content. It was very insightful and enjoyable. You have amazing pictures. I have bookmarked your website and will be checking from time to time for more contents.