Easy Cheese Carrots Recipe
Check out these fun and easy Cheese Carrots. They are sure to please any hungry rabbits.
If you’re looking for a simple appetizer to add to your spring time menu, these easy Cheese Carrots are the perfect addition. Not only would they be cute for your Easter or spring holiday spread, but perfect for April Fool’s Day too! And they could not be easier to make. Really!
Only a few ingredients are required for this tasty appetizer, plus a little mixing, then shape them into carrots. From start to finish these only take about 30 minutes to make, depending on how quick you are at sculpting. It’s just like playing with play-dough, only tasty. These cheese carrots are so easy and fun to make! Easy enough for the kids to get involved. Kids of any age would love to play in the kitchen and make these for snack time.
Years ago I first made these easy Cheese Carrots for Easter after discovering the recipe in my Aunt’s cookbook. I’ve adapted the recipe slightly, using spices I have on hand. If you like things spiced up a bit (and as long as you know young children will not be eating them) easily kick these carrots up a notch or two by adding a few pinches (or more!) of cayenne pepper.
A few easy Cheese Carrots recipe notes:
- If you have a favorite cheese ball recipe, as long as it holds shape, make carrots instead of ball.
- Either reduced-fat or regular cream cheese may be used.
- Don’t use pre-shredded cheese. For the cheese mixture to come together it really needs to be soft. Pre-shredded cheese can create a weird texture when trying to mold the carrots.
- These easy Cheese Carrots can be made ahead of time by 2 days then tightly wrapped with plastic wrap and refrigerated until ready to serve.
Easy Cheese Carrots Recipe
A fun twist on rabbit food. Perfect for special occasions in spring and summer!
- 3 ounces (weight) cream cheese (I used a reduced fat, but use what you like)
- 6 ounces (weight) cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/8 teaspoon granulated garlic (or garlic powder)
- a few sprigs of fresh parsley
- Using a fork combine all the ingredients together until somewhat combined, then using your hands (clean hands!) work the cheese mixture to combine more thoroughly until smooth.
- Divide the cheese mixture into 5-6 sections (or however many “carrots” you want to create). Using your hands form carrots shapes.
- Add details to cheese carrots with a knife.
- Arrange cheese carrots on platter. Add sprigs of parsley to create carrot tops.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve with crackers or crudités.
Recipe adapted from my Aunt Carole Radford’s Hearts Go Home for the Holidays.