Broiled Grapefruit with Honey and Bananas
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Have you ever tried Broiled Grapefruit? A few weeks ago, one lazy Saturday morning, we did. A drizzling of honey, a few shakes of ginger or cinnamon, some slices of banana, and a visit under the broiler were all it took to make a plain grapefruit, uh … er … not so plain.
I enjoy grapefruit more than my husband, Randy, but even he liked the subtle change brought on from broiling. Broiled Grapefruit with Honey and Bananas is definitely a unique flavor, and the aroma makes for a lovely start to the day.
A few Broiled Grapefruit with Honey and Bananas notes:
- Know your broiler. Broilers are not all the same, so you’ll need to watch your cook time to avoid burning. Our grapefruit got a little dark on the edges which was fine since we didn’t eat that part, but just keep watch.
- Take time to section the grapefruits before broiling. The membrane gets very soft when cooked, which makes it difficult to separate the membrane from the good stuff. A grapefruit knife is a handy thing for this. If you don’t own one a small serrated knife will do.
- If you’re not a banana fan, skip it altogether, or try adding strawberries. Roasted strawberries a very good thing.
- I dusted the tops with ginger, but cinnamon, or the addition of cinnamon, may be used. Or have fun experimenting with different herbs or spices.
Broiled Grapefruit with Honey and Bananas Recipe
A delicious and easy way to enjoy grapefruit for breakfast or a snack.
- ground ginger (ground cinnamon is a good substitute or addition)
- optional: banana slices (strawberries would be nice too)
- Prepare oven for broiling. Position oven rack on top.
- Cut grapefruit(s) in half. Using a small serrated knife or grapefruit knife, loosen the grapefruit sections from the membrane. Place the grapefruit halves on a baking sheet or shallow baking pan.
- Drizzle grapefruit halves with honey. Place banana slices on top and flip once to coat both sides with honey. Dust with ground ginger (and/or cinnamon).
- Place under broiler until bubbling and slightly browned in spots, about 4 to 6 minutes. Keep an eye on during broiling to avoid burning.
- Serve warm.
Mmmm!! This look so good! Your photos make me want to dive into that thing! I love the shot of the honey being drizzled! And the bananas! YUM!
Wow now this is one I haven’t tried before. What a great idea and I like the sound of the sprinkled ginger on top.
I’ve heard lots of good things about broiled grapefruit, but never tried it. Yours looks so beautiful!!
I’ve never had broiled grapefruit, but this is calling to me. So beautiful!
I love eating grapefruit for breakfast, but I have never thought of broiling it before! What a great idea!
The perfect breakfast! 🙂
This looks AMAZING!!! I truly love grapefruit and only eat it with a little honey, but have never ever heard about broiling it…..and then to add bananas. This is truly creative, healthy and sounds so tasty. Guess what I’m having for breakfast tomorrow!
This is only the most spectacular grapefruit ever – I don’t even love bananas but I can tell I would gobble them up in this!
this is so beautiful and so simple. I love it!
Your opening photo is one of the most compelling ever, the colors are just stunning! I’ve been meaning to try broiled grapefruit, and now I finally will.
Yum! This looks perfect, Amy!
Broiling grapefruit is one of my all time fave ways to prepare it. This looks incredible with the addition of banana.
Love how pretty they look broiled with the honey. I would eat grapefruit daily if possible. It is one of my favorite foods.
So smart to add the bananas! What a great breakfast this would be.
I don’t normally like grapefruit, but I will try this!
Thank you so much for this recipe. I just started a no cooking diet. But, this I must try as soon as possible. Thank you for sharing it. I love grapefruit, and my doctor tells me I need to eat more grapes and more bananas for potassum. With the honey drizzles over the fruit, I believe this is one I will love to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Okay not on the same day haha.
Wow! This looks so delicious! I need to run out and get some grapefruit! I love broiled grapefruit AND roasted bananas…but never thought to put them together! This is calling my name! Thanks!
I made this for breakfast this morning and loved it! Thank you!
I found your recipe via Pinterest and was so inspired with your beautiful photos, that I just had to try it. Turns out broiled grapefruit is delicious! I took some pictures, which turned out quite nice, but not as good as yours, imo.