Simple Breakfast Tortilla
It’s hard to digest how school could have started weeks ago. Time flies doesn’t it? One of our focuses for the new year has been to send our kids off with a healthy and substantial breakfast to start the day. Eggs can play an essential part in that, and inexpensively too. Eggs are not only nutrient dense, but they’re inexpensive too. Did you know that for less than 15¢ per egg, you get 6 grams of protein, 10% of the daily recommended amount of Vitamin D, plus many other essential vitamins? I’d say that’s a bunch of goodness packed into a tiny egg for less than 15¢.
Today I’m sharing another breakfast recipe, Simple Breakfast Tortillas that uses the same technique as with the breakfast muffin. For the record, I’ve never been much on cooking eggs in the microwave, but I’ve been very surprised and how these recipes have turned out. The trick is to take a little time to figure out how much time your microwave requires without overcooking the eggs.
These tortillas are fast prep, and even faster cooking. Easily prepare the egg/cheese mixture the night before, cover, refrigerate, then pop in the microwave.
After a short while in the microwave, easily transfer to a tortilla, wrap it up and take off!
A much healthier version to those grease-laden breakfast burritos and tacos you find at fast food restaurants. Experiment with different cheeses and seasonings to create what tickles your fancy. Add crispy bacon or sausage too. Or maybe toss on a bit of salsa too. (Recipe below.)
- Cooking Spray
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt
- pinch of black pepper
- ½ teaspoon heavy cream (half & half, or water can be substituted)
- ¼ cup shredded cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, Monterey Jack, your choice!)
- Lightly coat a ramekin (or small dish, or coffee cup) with cooking spray.
- Mix together the egg, salt and pepper, cream, and cheese until combined well, and pour in ramekin. * If prepping ahead cover and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Microwave on high 30 seconds; stir. Microwave another 30-45 seconds, or until egg is just set. (Microwave cook times will vary, adjust cook times as needed.)
- Transfer cooked egg/cheese combination to tortilla. Wrap up and enjoy or add other ingredients to jazz up your tortilla, like bacon, sausage, salsa, and peppers. Be creative!
(This post is sponsored by the American Egg Board – The Incredible Edible Egg folks! Opinions are my own.)