This Grilled Cheese with Gouda, Roasted Mushrooms and Onions recipe takes grilled cheese sandwiches to a new level of goodness.
A great classic grilled cheese sandwich is hard to beat. A grilled cheese sandwich jacked up with Gouda cheese and roasted mushrooms and onions? Well, that’s a grilled cheese sandwich that is even harder to beat.
I could go on and waste your time rambling on about how so wonderfully scrumptious this Grilled Cheese with Gouda, Roasted Mushrooms and Onions sandwich was that it didn’t even make it to the table. No joking. But I’d rather just tell you to get you some bread, gouda, mushrooms and onions, and get to it.
It’s really that good. Really.
I promise you’ll be pleased with this grilled cheese.
A few helpful tips for making this fabulous Grilled Cheese with Gouda, Roasted Mushrooms and Onions sandwich:
- Roasting vegetables is such an easy step that adds so much flavor to vegetables and makes this sandwich so wonderfully tasty. You’ll find easy instructions for roasting in this recipe for one of my favorite (and super light too) soups: White Bean and Roasted Mushrooms Soup.
- The mushrooms and onions can be roasted ahead of time and stored, covered in a refrigerator until ready to assemble sandwich. If desired, rewarm roasted mushroom and onions up a bit in a microwave for a few seconds (maybe 20 seconds or so) or toss in a skillet on the stovetop to warm.
- Choose your favorite mushrooms to use. Baby Bella mushrooms are lovely but any mushrooms you can find (especially the ones on sale) will work just fine.
- Even though any sweet or yellow onion will work for this recipes, if you can find a sweet Vidalia onion to use for this sandwich, get it!
- Although I think Gouda is just perfect for this grilled cheese, a Gruyere, Jarlsberg or your favorite softer cheese — even a brie (oh my!) would be fantastic. This article from Food & Wine describing different kinds of cheese may help understand the differences between cheese and assist in choosing some good options for the best grilled cheese.
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced (the sweeter the better)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 slices bread of choice
- 1 cup gouda, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- On a baking sheet toss sliced mushrooms and onion in olive oil. Sprinkle with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Bake in oven for about 20 minutes, or until roasted to preference.
- In a skillet stove top, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- While butter is melting, assemble sandwiches. On one slice of bread, layer shredded gouda, the roasted mushrooms and onions, then more gouda. (Layering this way ensures that the melty cheese will hold the sandwich together.) Salt and pepper to taste. Top with the other slice of bread. Lightly press together.
- In the melted butter place one sandwich down for one second, then gently flip it over to the other side. Repeat with other sandwich. Cook for about 2 minutes, until lightly browned, then gently flip sandwich on other side, and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is melted and sandwich is browned to preference.