This Grilled Pineapple Mango Salsa recipe is the perfect summer salsa for enjoying as an appetizer or serve over grilled chicken, fish or pork for a tasty savory sweet combination.
Fresh, homemade salsas are hard to beat. In the warmer months, I could be totally okay to just enjoy fresh salsa for a whole meal with chips or crudités. And not just savory and spicy tomato or tomatillo salsas either. Over the years I’ve really enjoyed trying different fruit salsas, like Strawberry Salsa, Peach Salsa, and this Grilled Pineapple Mango Salsa.
Fruits salsas are great because not only can they be served as an appetizer or dessert, but as a super tasty compliment to something savory, like grilled chicken, pork or fish. I think sweet and savory always makes for a wonderful flavor combination.
Of course, a fruit salsa is super easy to make and can be made ahead of when needed by a day or two. Easy and prepping ahead just so happen to be two of my favorite qualities when it comes to recipes. This grilled fruit salsa is no exception to those two handy dandy aspects of recipes. Pack along for a picnic or serve poolside as a tasty snack.
To create this Grilled Pineapple Mango Salsa, mangoes, and pineapple are grilled for a few minutes until golden brown. Once cooled, the mangoes and pineapple are cut up and mixed together with pepper, onion, lime juice agave nectar (or honey) tequila and smoked paprika. The flavors all mesh together to create a perfect summery salsa. Again, serve as an appetizer with pita chips, as a dessert over pound cake with ice cream, or spoon it over grilled chicken, fish, or pork for a lovely dinner. Serve right away or refrigerate covered until ready to serve. I think when it’s left to mingle together in the fridge the flavor gets even better the longer it lingers.
Grilled Pineapple Mango Salsa recipe tips:
- For the recipe below, the tequila amount included doesn’t make the salsa taste like alcohol, but if you need to, substitute balsamic or red wine vinegar.
- Honey may be substituted for agave nectar.
- To prepare a mango for grilling, cut 1/2-inch thick slice from flat sides of each mango, then score the flesh in a crisscross pattern, without cutting through the skin. Grill flat, scored side down. Reserve remaining mango for another use—like a smoothie!
- 2 small firm ripe mangoes
- 2 cored pineapple, rings, about ½-inch thick
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- ⅔ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar (or honey)
- 1 tablespoon tequila (or substitute balsamic or red wine vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Paprika
- Cut ½-inch thick slice from flat sides of each mango. Score the flesh in a crisscross pattern, without cutting through the skin. Reserve remaining mango for another use.
- Grill mango, cut-side down, and pineapple over medium heat of well-greased grill 2 to 4 minutes or until golden brown, turning pineapple once. Cool until able to handle. Push mango from skin side to pop the flesh up. Cut both mango and pineapple into bite-size pieces.
- Mix grilled fruit, bell pepper, onion, cilantro, lime juice, agave nectar, tequila and smoked paprika in medium bowl until well blended.