Easy DIY Red White and Blue Party Decoration
This DIY Red White and Blue Party Decoration couldn’t be easier. This is one the kids can make too!
As Memorial Day approaches with the 4th of July right behind, you need fun, quick and colorful decorations to show your national pride! This bright and easy DIY Red White and Blue Party Decoration takes only a couple minutes to create. You’ll have a fun addition to the celebration in no time.
You’ll only need a few things: red and blue food coloring, white rice, mason jars, (or other glass containers that could work as a candle holder), and some votive candles or small pillar candles. You’ll also need some glass or metal bowls for mixing as well as some spoons too. And since food coloring is involved, prepare any surfaces as needed to avoid and accidental splatters. (I always end up with food coloring on something that it’s not supposed to be on, but maybe that’s just me?)
Once you have all of the pieces and parts, you’re ready to go. Like I said, it’s super easy.
Here’s what you do:
- Separate rice into desired amounts per layer. We used 2 cups of rice for each color.
- Squirt food color into rice, you might need to use the back of the spoon to evenly distribute the food color throughout the rice. We used several drops to achieve a deep color, use more or less for the desired depth of color. Be sure to use metal or glass bowls and spoons as food color can stain some plastics.
- Spread each color on baking sheets to dry (could take about 15-30 minutes depending on humidity).
- Layer in jars for desired pattern and order of colors.
- Gently settle a votive or small pillar candle in the middle of the rice.
That’s it! Time to party and celebrate!
Once the party is over you can save the colored rice to use for your next festive occasion, because recycling is a good thing. Just put a top on the jar and gently store it away.
Happy celebrating, y’all!