Bananas Foster Ice Cream
Butter and brown sugar can make magic happen. Take Bananas Foster, for example. A plain ole banana, which I can take or leave, turns into something I can hardly resist when cooked in a simmering pan of butter and brown sugar. So simple, but so incredibly satisfying. I can never seem to get enough. It always surprises me when I make Bananas Foster, as if I’ve never had it before, and must never go without it again.
Bananas Foster is usually served with ice cream, but I decided to go ahead and mix it into the ice cream for a twist on the decadent dessert: Bananas Foster Ice Cream.
Uh huh. I did.
Try it. I think you’ll like it.
A few notes:
The Bananas Foster mix-in is a straight forward Bananas Foster preparation minus the flambéing step. If you’re really into igniting things go ahead and flame it, but feel free to skip it as I did.
The recipe calls for rum. Any rum will do. I used coconut rum, because I like it and because we had it on hand. Besides, coconut + bananas? Seems like an obvious choice to me.
The recipe for the mix-in makes more than is needed for mixing in, so you’ll have plenty leftover for topping your ice cream off with more. OR just make another batch. The extras would also be wonderful added to yogurt or oatmeal. Man … am I’m getting hungry now.
- For bananas foster mix-in:
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons rum (I used coconut rum!)
- 3 bananas, sliced in half lengthwise, then sliced into smaller sections about 1½-2" long
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- For ice cream base:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To prepare Bananas Foster mix-in:
- Melt butter in a skillet over low-medium heat.
- Add brown sugar and cinnamon, stirring until sugar dissolves and mixture is bubbly.
- Add rum, stir to combine then bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add bananas, cook for about 2 minutes, coating bananas with sauce and flipping them halfway through.
- Reduce heat to low. Stream in heavy cream and stir until combined.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Once cool transfer to bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to add to ice cream mixture.
- To prepare ice cream base:
- Whisk together cream, milk, sugar, salt and vanilla until sugar dissolves. Stir well.
- Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours, up to 24 hours.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer's directions.
- When ice cream has finished churning, layer the ice cream and about ½-3/4 cup of the cooled Bananas Foster mixture in a freezer-safe container. Cover and freeze until firm.