Grilled Cheese with Gouda, Roasted Mushrooms and Onions

Gouda Grilled Cheese with Mushrooms and Onions

A great classic grilled cheese is hard to beat. A grilled cheese jacked up with gouda and roasted mushrooms and onions? Even harder to beat.

I could go on and waste your time rambling on about how so wonderfully scrumptious this Grilled Cheese with Gouda, Roasted Mushrooms and Onions sandwich was that it didn’t even make it to the table. But I’d rather just tell you to get you some bread, gouda, mushrooms and onions, and get to it.

gouda-mushroom-onion-grilled-cheese-1gouda-mushroom-onion-grilled-cheese-2gouda-mushroom-onion-grilled-cheese-3Roasted Mushrooms and Onions with Gouda Grilled Cheese

I promise you’ll be pleased with this grilled cheese.

Enjoy!

5.0 from 7 reviews
Grilled Cheese with Gouda, Roasted Mushrooms and Onions

This grilled cheese is sure to please.
Serves: Makes 2 sandwiches.
  • 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • salt and pepper
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 4 slices bread of choice
  • 1 cup gouda, shredded
  1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
  2. On a baking sheet toss sliced mushrooms and onion in olive oil. Sprinkle with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Bake in oven for about 20 minutes, or until roasted to preference.
  3. In a skillet stove top, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
  4. While butter is melting, assemble sandwiches. On one slice of bread, layer shredded gouda, the roasted mushrooms and onions, then more gouda. (Layering this way ensures that the melty cheese will hold the sandwich together.) Salt and pepper to taste. Top with the other slice of bread. Lightly press together.
  5. In the melted butter place one sandwich down for one second, then gently flip it over to the other side. Repeat with other sandwich. Cook for about 2 minutes, until lightly browned, then gently flip sandwich on other side, and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is melted and sandwich is browned to preference.

Comments

Oh my. I just had dinner not that long ago and this, this, this MONSTROSITY of a grilled cheese is now beckoning me to drag out my skillet. Seriously, you’re killing me!

Loretta says

I want to make this with homemade sourdough bread. I’m literally salivating…

Amy. How has this been on the internets for EIGHT DAYS and I’m just now seeing it. Oh my WORD. I want this every day for every meal. And perfect for Lent, too…forget the fish!!!

I just used your method to make roasted mushrooms and onions as a side for our dinner. Technically, my dinner since my hubby doesn’t like mushrooms. I doubled the mushrooms and they’re almost gone (gulp). Next time, I’m throwing them in a grilled cheese! That looks incredible!

What a mouthwatering photo. This grilled cheese looks amazing. I can’t wait to make it for my kids – and myself! Thanks for the inspiration.
    Lisa

Jackie says

Made this with a smear of dijon mustard and served with tomato soup. It was so good! Thanks for the idea!

Crystal says

This looks mad delicious! Mushrooms and Gouda cheese a fave of mines. Yummy!

Katter P says

I made these tonight for dinner for the family! They were absolutely amazing, although we did switch the gouda for havarti and provolone since we couldn’t find a good gouda. These were definitely the best grilled cheeses I have ever made!! Thank you for sharing your recipe!