Poached Eggs with Gouda on Toast

Poached Eggs with Gouda on Toast

Sometimes I just want to share a favorite recipe. Sometimes I don’t have a story to accompany said recipe. Sometimes I just want to post some pictures, and the recipe, and be done with it. But that’s not the norm in the food writing/blogging world. Sometimes I don’t have jazzy words to describe the taste. Sometimes all I want to say is “try this recipe, because it’s good.” But “good” is unacceptable in the food writing world. “Good” doesn’t cut it.

But today I’m breaking the food writing rules. Maybe they’ll banish me from all that is food and writing. Maybe. But sometimes, sometimes you just have to break the rules.

So here’s my recipe: Poached Eggs with Gouda on Toast. Nothing fancy. Nothing especially interesting. But sometimes, those are the best kind of dishes ever. And this is that sometime. Try it. You’ll like it. It’s really good. Good, I tell ya.

With that said, I do have a little to say about the poached egg. It’s one of those basic foods that everyone should know how to cook. There’s nothing quite like it. It can be paired with a number of sides, and not just for breakfast. You’ll find an abundance of techniques online for how to poach an egg, but the best way, is whatever way you master and feel comfortable with. Because an egg unpoached is a sad, sad thing.

Poached Eggs with Gouda on Toast

A couple of years ago I had the pleasure of being shown some tricks for poaching eggs by Jeffrey Saad. Jeffrey is one of those people with an infectious energy. Truly, truly a gem. He and his wife are some of the nicest people you could ever meet. Anyway, Jeffrey shared a few tips for poaching that I’ve used ever since, with regular success. Some of these are his tips, others I’m not sure where I heard them:

• Use a shallow pan for poaching. I use my 10″ fry pan. The shallow sided pan is easier to work with when retrieving the perfect poached pouch, as well as it gives less space for the egg to disperse.
  • Add salt and vinegar to the poaching water. Salt adds taste, vinegar helps the egg white hold together. Really, try it with and without the vinegar and see the difference. Vinegar, such an all-purpose handy thing.
  • Use fresh eggs. The whites of fresh eggs hold together better. Did you know that fresh eggs have cloudy whites? I know, weird. Kinda backwards even.
  • Crack eggs into individual small bowls. You can certainly crack eggs directly into the poaching water, but cracking them into small bowls first allows you to gently place the egg into the water. The small bowl can even be immersed partway to let the egg gently glide into the water, which helps it stay together. Plus, if you’re not an excellent egg cracker, it gives you the chance to remove any shells before poaching.
  • Another thing I do, (and I can’t remember if Jeffrey shared this with me or if I just can’t leave things alone), if needed, I use the tip of a spoon to gently nudge the egg white back to the center of the yolk right after dropping the egg in the water.
  • Poaching time depends on temperature of water and how you prefer your eggs. I like mine poached for a little over 2 minutes. My husband likes his poached between 3-4 minutes.

If you’d like to see him perform the poach in person, Jeffrey has a video on how to poach eggs.

Poached Eggs with Gouda on Toast

These tips are helpful, but once you play with poaching, you’ll find your personal little nuances to help create perfect poached eggs each time.

A few other notes on this recipe (and I thought all I had to say about this was that it was ‘”good”):

• You’ll notice I used a very small amount of cheese. I like the egg to play center stage here, plus with gouda (any cheese would do, but gouda is good), you don’t need much to add great flavor.
  • Personally, a toasted English Muffin is the prime pocketed place for a poached egg to perch, but any toast that is to your liking will do.
  • Salt, pepper and dill were added for the final touch. Dill + Eggs = Goodness.

Poached Eggs with Gouda on Toast

Be sure to try out different combinations of cheese, breads, and seasonings. Once you master the poached egg, you’ll find your mind swirling with ideas for recipes of how to incorporate them. I did a quick search over at CookingLight.com and found a slew of great recipes featuring poached eggs.

Enjoy!

Poached Eggs with Gouda on Toast

Serves: Makes 2 servings.
  • 2 fresh eggs
  • 1 – 2 teaspoons salt*
  • 1 tablespoon vinegar of choice*
  • 1 English Muffin, toasted
  • 1 ounce gouda, shredded (or favorite cheese, and more or less to taste)
  • pinch or two of dill
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • * Salt and vinegar amounts for poaching water are approximates and based on 4 cups of water. Adjust accordingly.
  1. Fill a fry/sauté pan with approximately 1½-2″ deep with water. Add salt and vinegar to poaching water. Bring water to a low boil over medium-high heat, and reduce heat to barely a simmer. (If you like to measure things, 180-190°F would be perfect temperature.)
  2. Crack eggs into individual bowls/saucers. Gently slide eggs one at a time into the poaching water. Using a spoon, gently nudge the egg whites toward center of yolk. Cook for 2-3 minutes for a semi-soft yolk or 3-4 minutes for a firmer-set yolk.
  3. With a spoon, remove eggs one at a time and drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
  4. Using one half of toasted English Muffin, add a little of the shredded cheese, then the poached egg, and top with a little more cheese. Season with a pinch of dill, salt and pepper.

Comments

Gorgeous. I am seriously blown away by that first series of images. I love them. Poached eggs are my favorite breakfast. Heck, they’re quite nearly my favorite food. Love this post, Amy.

oh you crack me up……….I think every time I post a recipe, I just want to throw up the pictures and recipe and call it a day!

These pictures are stunning Amy – LOVE the high key……come teach me! *wink*

I love the tips on poaching eggs. I love them but never feel I get them quite right. And a perfectly good and simple breakfast is all I ask for. This is right up my alley!

Who are “they”? I think I want to stay away from them ; ) wink! I know what you’re saying…….sometimes I just don’t want to think about it too much. I just want to share it!!! dadburnit! Thanks for the poaching tips, I love poached eggs, but have not mastered the art. Love a perfectly poached egg on top of a a crispy salad…..mmmm YUm (another no no word in the food writing world…..but it is so yum).

Love this!! I needed these tips for poaching eggs so badly. And umm, this post was perfect…do it the way you want to do it each time. xoxo, Amy!

Thiiiiiiis makes me cry. I LOVE poached eggs, I eat them nearly every day, just like you showed, but with wilted spinach. You made probably the sexiest poached egg in the world. Ugh.

“pocketed place for a poached egg to perch” :)

I’m all about “good” food. No need to elaborate. If you say it’s good, Amy, I trust you.

PS…I’ve never, ever poached an egg…I’ve been to scared. This was just what I needed. You’re a good egg. ;)

Jessie says

I think you left out a key instruction – Should the water be boiling? Simmering? (I can’t watch the movie, all videos are blocked at work.)

Hey Jessie,

The recipe at the end of the post in the blue box has the full instructions. Above that were just a few tips for poaching.

I so know what you’re talking about. Sometimes I just don’t have a “story” either and all I want to do is say “cook this, you’ll love it!” I say let’s be rebels, throw caution to the wind, and just do it our own way :-) Seriously love this recipe and am going to go make it for lunch right this minute.

I would like to say you photos are so gorgeous that I would like to make these poached eggs right now! No words necessary. I don’t cook poached eggs enough, you’ve inspired me.

Girl, you have me salivating at these incredible pictures! I love eggs…any which way, but need to try poaching more often. One of my favorites things to put on an egg is Dill! Yum :)

Kelli F. says

These look absolutely delicious! I love eggs; you can do so many different things with them.

Sounds wonderful! and with gouda? I’m hooked! Funny, I never liked eggs. At all. So of all the ways to prepare them I was shocked that I looooveeeed poached eggs when I tried my first Eggs Benedict years ago. So, needless to say I have ‘mastered’ the art of poaching eggs. This variation w gouda sounds so simple and flavorful I can’t wait to try!

Those poached eggs look absolutely perfect. It’s my favourite way to prepare eggs at the moment but I’m not always successful. Really want to make this now!

http://www.ilisya.com/bbs/home.php?mod=space&uid=49548 says

Xu Xiaoya you might care about this money, she said: Do not worry teachers, we must call a good single senior, this money will be reimbursed to Qiang got.

http://www.holeinthefencecafe.com/content/nike-shox-r3-capacity-job-learning says

Yang sitting at his desk, Qiang open big headphone volume in the songs, staring across the Luo Xiaowei’s desk, her look sad looking at documents, Qiang turn off the music off the ear and said: Lo junior sister apprentice, there What thing?

http://www.fit31.com/content/logo2-0#comment-123053 says

Luo Xiaowei hurriedly looked up: No, no way, the company running everything is normal.

I don’t need any words, just those pictures will suffice in making want to cook this ASAP. Just absolutely stunning!