Party Popcorn

Party Popcorn

Okay, I’m going to cut right to the chase, this candy popcorn, what I’m calling Party Popcorn for a lack of a better term, is the quickest tastiest thing I’ve made in a while. And there are reasons for that. With just a few ingredients (as few as three, depending on what route you take), and not really any cooking, just some melting, this is a fast favorite for me now. Perfect for a party of any kind. And to think of all of my children’s birthday parties in years gone by that I could’ve used this one for.

Like I said, it’s simple. You only need 3 things: popcorn + melted white candy melts + sprinkles.

For the popcorn, you can pop your own (this is a good method from Simply Recipes), or take a short cut like I did, and use microwave popcorn. I like Orville Redenbacher’s Natural, Simply Salted. It had the least amount of crud I could find in the way of microwave popcorn, and just the right amount of salt to balance the sweetness.

The Vanilla CandiQuik or wafer style candy melts worked great for me. I tend to like using them better than the white chocolate chips. Sometimes white chocolate chips act wonky when melting.

Party Popcorn

Basically pop the popcorn, melt the white candy/chocolate, gently mix them together. I used my hands, clean hands, of course. If you’re using your hands to mix, be aware that melted candy coating is hot-ish. Not scalding mind you, but you’ll want to work swiftly. A large baking sheet worked great for a surface to combine the popcorn and melted candy. Once mixed, sprinkle with your favorite sprinkle colors before candy hardens. I had multi-color nonpareils on hand, but wouldn’t your favorite team’s colors be perfect for a Super Bowl party, or tailgating? Or customize to match the birthday girl or boy’s cake. The fun never ends when sprinkles are involved.

Party Popcorn

I hope you enjoy this easy one. And party on with your popcorn!

4.7 from 3 reviews
Party Popcorn

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

This super simple treat is perfect for any party or special occasion.
Cuisine: Dessert
Serves: Makes about 8-9 cups.
  • 6-7 ounces (weight) white candy melts, melted
    (substitute your favorite color, or chocolate)
  • 8-9 cups popped popcorn, lightly salted
    (I used Orville Redenbacher's Natural, Simply Salted, 1 pack makes 9 cups popped)
  • sprinkles or nonpareils in your favorite color
  1. On a large baking sheet or bowl, gently mix in the melted white candy/chocolate into the popped popcorn.
  2. Now for the sprinkles! Sprinkle the sprinkles before melted candy/chocolate hardens.
  3. Gently mix together before candy/chocolate hardens.

(This post contains affiliate links.)Party Popcorn

Comments

Sandy says

I have made this and tinted the chocolate whatever color your occasion calls for. I have done pink for girlie parties, and green for a St. Patty’s party. I have also drizzled milk chocolate over it too, which gives it a beautiful gourmet look.

What a fun, simple, great recipe! My kids will LOVE making this with me. It would be great for Valentine’s Day parties, or just to have at home. LOVE this! Thanks. Have a great weekend….

Okay, I’m with you where was this when the boys were itty bitty? That’s okay we still eat loads of popcorn. Can’t wait to make this with Gabe this weekend. His my popcorn lover :D

You can make your own microwave popcorn by putting a 1/2 cup in a plain brown paper lunch bag and microwaving for about 3 minutes (listen to hear it stop popping).
    So cute! Thanks for the idea :)

heidi haverstock says

I have been making popcorn like that for the past 11 yrs. I’m glad you told a paper bag and I use 1/3 cup popcorn.

Wendie says

My sister and I have been making this popcorn for our kids for years. I usually make it in mass quantities so I mix using 2 large bowls and a spatula and then spread out on wax paper to dry. I package individually in the cute cello bags and tie with ribbon. Great for school, church, teachers and everyone ALWAYS asks for the recipe.

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective says

Cute, Amy! We’ve been making some fun popcorn variations lately, but this is really fun. My kids would love the sprinkles!

anne says

This looks absolutely delicious. How would it handle being shipped as a gift?

Hey Anne!

As far as shipping, the only thing I would be worried about is it being stale. It’s much better when served within a day I think. Maybe try a batch and package it in plastic bags for a couple of days to see how it is. Other than that, as long as the package is padded, it should ship nicely.

Amy

Rebekah says

Looks yummy! Do I have to use the candy melts or could I use real white chocolate (Bakers)?

Hey Rebekah,

I think as long as you can get it melted enough to be somewhat pourable, it should be fine.

Amy

b says

made this last night for a party and this was hit. everyone loved it and vowed to keep making it at future events. so brilliant and yummy! thanks for the inspiration!

Kristen says

Made this for my son’s class party tomorrow. Sampled some and it’s really good! So cute, too- looks just like the picture. :-) I used melted white chocolate chips, instead of the white candy melts.

gail kent says

My daughter gave me the recipe for this.She had a friend that makes this.Oh it is good.Who would have thought?We put peanuts in it.I made some for my Grandsons class and they all loved it.You just want to make sure and shake the kernels to the bottom and scoop the popcorn out carefully.My daughter made it the first time and did not think about the kernels that do not pop.She dumped the whole bag into the bowl.You had to be careful when eating it but it was still good.The colors would be pretty.And the sprinkles would be great for the holidays and parties.good night

gail kent says

I used the orville kettle corn and regular butter popcorn.I liked the kettle corn better.

Jen says

I love salty-sweet popcorn! I love how it looks with the rainbow non-pareils!

When I want to put in the effort, I make salted caramel corn, but if I just want a quick snack, I simply add a little sugar to the pot over the kernals when I pop them. It melts slightly and distributes over the popcorn in the pot. I haven’t found salting in the pot all that effective, so I add salt and butter after popping. You can use coloured sugar, too. Haven’t tried it myself, but I’ve heard jello powder can be used similarly for coloured popcorn, and I guess would lend a fruity taste (maybe don’t salt in this case.)

I make popcorn all the time, batches large and small, using *almost* the same method described in the simply recipes link. I do not believe that removing the pot for 30 seconds after adding the kernals makes any difference as I get the exact same results without doing so. Nothing burns, nearly every kernal pops.

Now this is one of the more clever things I’ve seen…could have used at my grandson’s BD party this weekend! I can think of a number of parties this would be good for…especially as favors! I was drawn in my your Valentine’s popcorn post..it was so beautiful…looked like flowers! I make my popcorn in the microwave. Would thin plastic gloves work for the hand mixing? Thanks for sharing!

Just when I think I’ve seen it all. I’m totally making this tonight for my family.
    The easiest recipes are the ones that seen to be the favorites.

Suzi Pangman says

I made this for both of my kids’ Valentine’s parties and EVERYONE raved about it! Who would of thought salt AND sweet on popcorn! I just sent someone a link to your site for the recipe! It was that good! Thank you!

Sarah says

Love this idea! I can’t wait to make this with my daughter….she will have a blast! Would you mind telling me where you found these white bowls? I have been looking for the same ones and can’t find them anywhere….thank you! :)

WarsawNan says

A granddaughter requests this for Christmas every year. I have an easier way of making it. Place popped corn in disposable turkey pan. Sprinkle white chocolate chips on top. Place in 300-degree oven for 3-5 minutes. Remove and gently stir so melty chips coat all the popcorn. Sprinkle with sprinkles while still warm. Spread out on waxed paper to cool.

Cassie Feliziani says

For a less sugary version. I popped my popcorn and immediately upon opening the bag, I poured a 1/2 cup of the ice-cream style “jimmies” sprinkles into the bag, reclosed and slowly rotated the bag, so the jimmies had a chance to melt/fuse themselves to the hot popcorn. I made it this way, as inspiration from this post, for my girls tonight and they loved it!

I’m on my way to do the Grandma thing with my three grands this week. What a timely post for me to amaze and entertain my crew.
    THanks So Much!
    Rosemary

Michele says

I make a variation of this using Okie Dokie Puffed White Popcorn, melted white almond bark, and sprinkles. I made a bunch of this and bagged it up individually as a sweet snack gift for each of my employee’s last Christmas, and they loved it! Super fun and easy to make.

Tleshia Farrar says

Thanks!!! I’ve made it with M&M’s, popcorn, chex mix, and peanuts and everyone went nuts over it :-) I like this more simple idea for my daughter’s purplicious birthday party coming up.

Sarah says

I made this for a little get together this weekend and everyone FREAKED OUT, they loved it! I bought the popcorn you suggested (we actually usually have it around) and wouldn’t you know that my toddler, who loves to carry things around, put the box in his room…I didn’t realize this until after bedtime. So, I popped my loose kernels in the micro and melted my baker’s chocolate and then made sure I salted it very lightly adding my sprinkles afterwards. I will definitely be doing this again, and next use the popcorn that is now OUT of my son’s room haha

Angela says

Just made it for my girls and yum. But my god i went to use my hands to mix and got blisters on a few of my fingers……….. It is really hot when u mix it fyi. Lolol

Loretta Vella says

Thank you for sharing such a great kid and adult friendly recipe – I love popcorn and I love sprinkles too. HERE’S AN IDEA: Fill a clear cello bag with your popcorn recipe, add a bright fun colored ribbon with a small helium filled balloon tied to it. Place a label on it “Thank you for coming to my party!” and hand out to the kids as they are leaving your child’s birthday party. :)

Mrs. Smith says

So cute! I’m going to make this for Easter. How far in advance can I make it? Meaning, how long does it stay fresh? Thanks in advance for any tips!

Hey Mrs. Smith!

I’m sorry, I am just now seeing this message! Perhaps a late answer may help someone else … I wouldn’t make it any sooner than 2 days out. The fresher the better I think!
      Please let me know how far in advance you ended up trying it.

Kat says

This is such a nice and easy idea. Thank you I am going to make this for my sisters bridal shower gifts.

Cory Prentice says

I use holiday sprinkles & holiday m&m’s !
    I’ve made this for Christmas , Valentines & Halloween!! It’s always a hit & super easy. I love it with pb m&m’s

I make popcorn in a popcorn machine for residents. The popcorn comes in premixed packages with butter and salt. Should I just make a plain popcorn or is the buttery salty flavor good with the melts?

Chanel says

Love this. Am making it for my son’s bday party this weekend. Question: do I have to serve the popcorn right away into individual servings in small bowls, or could i put in one big bowl and have people serve themselves at the party? Not sure how quickly the popcorn hardens into one big block when mixed with the white chocolate… Let me know. Thanks!

I hope I’m not to late with a response. I’d let it harden on the baking sheet, then gently break it up and serve from one large bowl. Enjoy! And I hope your son’s birthday was wonderful!

rebecca says

Wondering if I could form them into balls for “snowballs” for my daughter’s Frozen bday party coming up this weekend?
    If I do it while still warm, will they hold their shape?
    Thanks for any insight.