Here’s an easy Red Potato Salad recipe that makes the perfect side dish that may become someone’s main dish. Go ahead and double the batch!
Potato Salad always reminds me of summer, picnics and fireworks, although I’m thinking this zesty and super easy Red Potato Salad is delicious enough to deserve a encore during the cold winter months as well. It would be as perfect alongside Roasted Turkey as it would be partnered with a Pulled Pork sandwich.
Side dishes don’t get much tastier and easier than this easy Red Potato Salad that is packed full of color and flavor. This zesty side dish is a classic side that’s perfect for summer, but you may find yourself craving it year round. Serve this potato salad for your next cookout and just watch how many come back for seconds!
This Red Potato Salad is a simple recipe to prepare and can be made ahead a day or two and left to mingle in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
A few Red Potato Salad recipe notes:
- If needed, substitute greek yogurt for the mayonnaise in the recipe below.
- While red potatoes are best to use for this recipe, you may substitute what you have on hand. When not overcooked small red potatoes tend to hold their shape better for potato salad, plus the colorful red skins add great texture to the salad as well. Vibrant color always makes food taste better. Colorful food is flavor for the eyes. Here’s a good source showing different types of potatoes and the preferred uses of each.
- If packing along for a picnic or tailgating be sure to keep covered and chilled until ready to serve.
- 3 pounds small red potatoes (or new potatoes)
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced chives, scallions or green onions
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place potatoes in a large pot of salted water, bring to a boil. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain. Set aside to cool. Once cool, cut each potato in half and place large bowl.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, mustard, chives, red wine vinegar, dill, parsley, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Gently toss with halved potatoes to coat.
- Serve right away or refrigerate covered until ready to serve.