Easy Strawberry Upside Down Cake Recipe
An easy and delectable Strawberry Upside Down Cake recipe that is the perfect dessert for any spring or summer menus.
When strawberry season rolls around I turn into the Forrest Gump of strawberries. While Forrest, waxed on about shrimp, my list of all things strawberry begins to build. Whether it’s Strawberry Salsa, Frozen Strawberry Squares, Strawberry Lemonade, or a pie piled mile-high with strawberries that I can’t wait to create, I can’t get enough of the bright red fruit. It’s a good thing that we have fabulous strawberry farms close by, many that offer pick-your-own.
One of the strawberry creations that was at the top of my list is this Strawberry Upside Down Cake. This Strawberry Upside Down Cake is a basic vanilla cake, made with strawberries in the fashion of the classic Pineapple Upside Down Cake we have enjoyed over the years. And boy is it delicious! Think strawberry short cake warm out of the oven. Oh yes! Grab your fork! But first top a slice of this cake with more fresh sliced strawberries plus a dollop of fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for a strawberry dessert that would surely make Forrest run for a piece!
Strawberry Upside Down Cake
A delicious cake recipe made with fresh strawberries that is the perfect dessert for any spring or summer menus.
- 3/4 cup (6 oz, weight) butter, softened and divided
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 10 ounces strawberries, sliced
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a 9-inch round or 9×9-inch square baking pan in oven until melted. Carefully remove from oven. Whisk brown sugar into melted butter until combined. Place bake in oven for 1 minute. Remove from oven and whisk to blend. Arrange sliced strawberries evenly over top. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl beat together remaining 1/2 cup softened butter and granulated sugar until slightly lightened in color, about 2 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla extract and cinnamon.
- Alternate adding in flour/baking powder mixture and milk, mixing until just combined. Scraping down bowl as needed.
- Spoon batter over strawberries in baking pan and carefully spread evenly.
- Bake at 350-degrees F until wooden pick or cake tester comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes then invert onto serving plate. Scrape out any remaining syrup from pan and drizzle over cake.
- Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.