Roasted Vegetable Orzo Salad Recipe
This Roasted Vegetable Orzo Salad Recipe will soon become a favorite. This dish is packed with so much flavor and satisfying as a main dish or side salad. And it’s perfect choice for a Meatless Monday or to pack along for lunch any day of the week.
Confession time. I have a tendency to be a pasta-holic. If I’m honest, I would have no qualms with eating pasta for each and every meal. Of course, I don’t do that. Of course not. That would just be crazy, wouldn’t it?
It doesn’t help at all that pasta is so easy to make. The ease and versatility of pasta makes it a regular go-to for when rushed for a last minute meal or as a dependable dish to prepare ahead for any kind of entertaining. For me it’s the perfect comfort food. Comforting when I’m rushed and hungry and comforting when I need to prepare food ahead of time.
When my friend, Denise, shared this Roasted Vegetable Orzo Pasta with me, I was surprised with how much flavor was packed in such a simple dish. So a couple of weeks back when she said she was making a batch, I jumped at the chance to invite myself to assist so I could learn a new recipe.
This recipe is so easy. All that is needed is some simple chopping, tossing, and roasting, then some more tossing, and you’re done. That’s it. Except for the eating part.
While this Roasted Vegetable Orzo Salad can be served as a side dish, it really can stand alone as a main course too, especially for a Meatless Monday. The meat won’t be missed at all. Also, this salad is just as delicious served cold. It only gets better after it is allowed to mingle together in the fridge for a while. Make a big batch Sunday night and enjoy it throughout the week! I’ve already done that a couple of times since discovering this super tasty orzo salad.
I think you’ll find this orzo salad perfect for a picnic, cookout, dinner party or an easy packable lunch. It’s easy to prepare ahead of time, a great compliment to so many entrees, and so easy to make. What’s not to love? Enjoy!
- 1 purple onion, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small-medium eggplant, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- ½ pound orzo pasta, cooked according to package directions, drained
- 4 green onions, minced
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 12-15 fresh basil leaves, julienned
- ½ pound feta, crumbled (optional)
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Toss onion, peppers, eggplant and garlic with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast on large baking sheet for about 30-45 minutes until browned. Turn once or twice during roasting.
- While vegetables are roasting combine dressing ingredients until smooth.
- In a large bowl, add roasted vegetables, and dressing to drained orzo; toss until combined well. Let cool slightly.
- Add green onions, pine nuts, basil and feta (optional) and lightly toss. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve right away at room temperature, or cover, refrigerate and serve cold.
Originally posted July 28, 2011. Updated June 18, 2015.