We’re on a big push to cut out some sugar around here – not all sugar, mind you. I like ice cream way too much. But we’re cutting back that’s for sure. So, I’ve been trying to find some easy low carb snacks to have on hand, and ready to go when cravings hit.
Yesterday, when discussing low carb choices with another friend, who’s trying to cut down on sugar too, we jotted down a few recipes that would be easy. This old recipe post, titled This-Was-Supposed-To-Be-Something-Else Cheese Spread popped in my head.
The name came from attempting to create my own rendition of a pimento cheese inspired by a local restaurant here in Greenville, SC. I kinda bombed on the recipe, almost tripling the cream cheese. There were not enough ingredients on hand to triple everything, so it evolved into something else, something else really good, a basic cheese spread, with a little sass.
The recipe is easy to follow and of course, if you like it more spicy, add a little more cayenne, or chop up a hot pepper of choice and toss in. And if you’re like me, trying to cut down on the carb intake, enjoy it on celery instead of crackers. Celery and pimento cheese are the perfect partner I say.
Enjoy! Hey, if you have any low carb recipes to share, please leave a link or the recipe in the comments below. I’ve got my list right here, ready and waiting.
- 1 – 8 oz. package cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons pimentos, mashed and rough chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated red onion (white or yellow would work too)
- ⅛ teaspoon dill
- ⅛ teaspoon celery salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Beat cream cheese until smooth. Add all other ingredients and blend well.
- Refrigerate until served.