These easy delicious Mediterranean Vegetables can be cooked in no time grill or stove-top for a light and tasty side dish option.
We use our grill all year round. It’s a great way to cook so many delicious things (not just meat), like homemade pizza, grilled peaches, or vegetables. Cooking foods on a grill adds so much great flavor to most foods. And once you master the grill, it’s easy too. Of course, you know I’m all about keeping things easy when at all possible in the kitchen, or in this case, on the patio.
Thankfully, my husband, Randy (aka Slocum) is our resident grill master, so when a whole meal can be cooked grill top, I’m a happy lady. It keeps the kitchen cool, and a bit more clean than it would be otherwise. Two very good grilling attributes in my book. I happily play the part as the prep cook and hand things off to Randy for him to work his grilling magic. It’s a mighty good arrangement if you ask me.
If you’re planning a cookout, camping, or just want to get out of the kitchen for a while these zesty Mediterranean Vegetables are easy and can be cooked quickly in a grill pan or skillet grill top to enjoy as a light side dish or use as a topping for pizzas, hamburgers, wraps, sandwiches, or pasta salads to name a few. Zucchini, onion and bell pepper are cooked in a bit of olive oil and tossed with a flavor packed mixture of greek seasonings, balsamic vinegar, garlic salt and sugar. So simple, but so tasty! AND a very light option for a side dish. Plus, the vegetables and seasoning mixture can be prepared ahead of time and kept refrigerated until ready to cook.
Mediterranean Vegetables recipe notes:
- Although I speak mostly about grilling, these vegetables can be cooked indoors stove-top as well, using the same recipe and process as described in the recipe below.
- A cast iron grill pan or skillet works great on a grill or stove-top, and can be used for cooking so many things from main dishes to desserts. It’s well worth the investment!
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 medium zucchini, cut in eighths lengthwise, then halved crosswise (about 3 inches long)
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into ¼-inch wide strips
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into ¼-inch wide strips
- 2 teaspoons greek seasonings
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large grill-safe skillet and place on hot grill (or stove-top over medium-high heat) until hot. Add zucchini, onion and bell pepper; cook and stir 6 minutes or until browned on edges.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil plus remaining ingredients.
- Remove skillet from heat. Add seasoning mixture to cooked vegetables; toss gently to coat.