Little touches can have such a big impact, can’t they? Take these Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Cones, for example. Such an easy thing to do, that will only takes a few minutes, but boy, does it make plain ice cream cones extra special.
Ice cream cones, chocolate for dipping, and some toppings are all you will need to make these fun cones. You can either make your own dipping chocolate, a trick I learned from my friend Robyn over at AddaPinch.com (check out how she uses the same recipe for magic shell), or buy melting chocolate made for dipping. Either will work fine for these cones. I purchased ice cream cones, but if you get around to making your own, please bring me some.
Before beginning all of the dipping, I made a little stand out of the ice cream cone box to place the cones in while the chocolate hardened. I did’t want the decorations to get all mushed on one side. Using a knife, I cut an “X” to hold each cone.
Toasted almonds, toasted coconut, and sprinkles were added before the chocolate hardened. Of course, my favorite is toasted almonds or coconut, but you just have to have some sprinkles (or do you call them jimmies?) for the sprinkle fans. Sprinkles are a must.
Sprinkles are fun, man.
These ice cream cones were so quick and easy to make. Seriously, I dipped and decorated them all in about 15 minutes. What a great kitchen project for the kids to do during their summer break. It’s certainly simple and safe enough for kids to do all on their own!
Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Cones would be perfect for a special celebration, or maybe just to make an ordinary day extraordinary? I think that sounds like a grand idea, don’t you?
Happy dipping, y’all!
- 8 ounces weight, semi-sweet chocolate chips (or favorite chocolate)*
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 6 ice cream cones
- assorted toppings - sprinkles, toasted chopped nuts, toasted coconut, crushed candies.
- Stir together chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each 30 seconds to combine. Repeat until dipping chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Dip cones in melted chocolate, and sprinkle with topping. Let cool.
- Serve right away, or store in an air tight container, plastic wrap, or zip top plastic bag.
- *You may substitute store bought melting/dipping chocolate for the chocolate and coconut oil in the ingredient list. Melt according to packaging directions.
As always, I’m so happy you stopped by! Remember throughout the summer, my friend, Robyn, and I are sharing our favorite ice cream recipes each Sunday. We’d like to hear from you too, so please share your favorites in the comments below, as well as on pinterest, by pinning your favorite frozen treats with the hashtag #IceCreamSundays. Can’t wait to see what you share!