Exercise Tunes

Life is cruising right along over here. Everything went smoothly with my procedure and recovery, and I’m slowly finding my way back into a routine, just in time for the holidays. Part of the routine has included the Couch-to-5K program. That’s not how to make a cool 5Gs from your couch. The 5K is a race. A running race. A race that’s 3.1 miles to be exact. Seriously, if you’ve never heard of it, Couch-to-5K is an exercise program based on intervals of walking and running to gradually work up to being able to run a 5K over the course of 9 weeks. So far so good. Check it out if you’re looking for a new exercise program.

I’m plugging through Couch-to-5K with my friend, Robyn, from Add a Pinch. We’ll be running a 5K in late February, along with our families. It’s been great to have the accountability with a friend, because I can find every excuse in the book to avoid exercise.

“Oh…what’s that? A cobweb on the ceiling fan? I must take care of that right away, just after I tackle dusting all the light bulbs.”

So, yes, Robyn has definitely been a good motivator for me to keep on truckin.’

For the record, I have no dreams of becoming a runner. As far as I’m concerned, this is a one time thing so I can say I did it without a lion chasing my behonkus. Check that one off my bucket list, ya know? Plus, my attention span is such that I have to switch things up a bit, otherwise I get bored and quit. Maybe next I’ll take up badminton. Or I’ve heard toe wrestling is hot these days?

Anyways, I just finished up week 4 of Couch-to-5K and am still quite alive and ready to take on week 5. I may share the progress along with any other insightful things I find during the rest of the process. Stayed tuned for updates. I promise no sweaty workout photos. Fer sure.

One thing that I couldn’t do the workouts without (other than Robyn) is a good mix of tunes, not just for keeping pace, but as a distraction as much as anything. So today I want to share my ever-changing playlist with you, and if you have any good tunes that motivate you to move, please, please, pretty please share them below in the comments.

I’m constantly updating my exercise tunes playlist to mix things up, ’cause, you know, I easily get bored. It’s a long list. It’s more than enough for a regular workout, about 4.5 hours of music. So you could run like a whole marathon if you wanna.

And I’ll warn you, the list is random as random can be, in no particular order. I like all kinds of music. Some have a great beat for running, or they’re inspirational, and others are just favorites. The (ahem) more suggestive tunes, are songs I pretend my hubby and I are singing to each other. The Love Boat is particularly one of my favorites. I imagine Randy in a Captain Stubing uniform. It works for me. And it’s good for at least a good 47 seconds of distraction from running.

Enjoy the list.

Don’t forget to share yours too!

And keep on truckin’!

A playlist to get you moving…

“Just the Way You Are”  by Bruno Mars
“I Choose”  by India.Arie & Bonnie Raitt
“Simple Things”  by Tedeschi Trucks Band
“Keep Your Head Up”  by Andy Grammer
“Give It Up”  by Amos Lee
“King of Anything”  by Sara Bareilles
“Atlas”  by The Wood Brothers
“Why Can’t We”  by Asa
“Unwritten”  by Natasha Bedingfield
“Why Georgia”  by John Mayer
“Caught Up”  by Usher
“The Show”  by Lenka
“500 Miles”  by The MacDonald Bros.
“Animal”  by Neon Trees
“Bad Day (Hole In Your Shoe)”  by Tim & Mollie O’Brien
“Dynamite”  by Taio Cruz
“Two Princes”  by Spin Doctors
“Same Ol’ River”  by Sam Bush
“Heaven”  by Salvador
“Life Is a Highway”  by Rascal Flatts
“I Am Superman”  by R.E.M.
“Hit Me With Your Best Shot”  by Pat Benatar
“Hard to Handle”  by The Black Crowes
“All I Need”  by Bethany Dillon
“You’re the First, the Last, My Everything”  by Barry White
“Best of My Love”  by The Emotions

Comments

randy says

This is your captain speaking…
    You forgot Volcanic Jig by Natilie MacMaster, that one’ll make you pick up the pace.

I *needed* this Amy! I’ve been trying to hit our neighborhood trails lately…and throw some jogging into the mix. I desperately need some new tunes….it’s hard to jog to Bread singing “Everything I Own.” And this: “She’s a Bad Mama Jama” …pretty much has me sold. :)

Oh I am so happy for you! What a wonderful ambition & goal to run this race with your family. Doing this with Robyn is a great idea. Gotta have a great playlist. Mine had lots of stuff I used to listen to as a teen…Bruce Spingsteen, Billy Joel, the Cars, George Michael. Dorky stuff but it works :)

Ooh, another C25K’er! My man and I got on the program as a way to help ease me back into running after breaking my knee a year and a half ago. It definitely helped. Not convinced running is my forte anymore but it was a HUGE confidence booster when the times would go up each week and we’d be able to make it through!

I absolutely need music when I work out – some days it’s electronic (drum and bass or minimal), some days it’s piquant jazz, but it always has to be fast paced and uplifting.

Yay! Congrats on working towards a 5k! That’s so awesome. Last summer I got bitten by the running bug and after a hiatus I’m now training for a 10k that’s on Thanksgiving! My biggest problem is I don’t have someone holding me accountable for going on my runs, I’m fine with my Monday/Wednesday 30 minute runs which are intervals, but my long distance (this week is 6.2 miles) take everything I have to get my butt out the door!

As far as running music goes…I listen to some pretty tacky songs. From Britney Spears: Toxic, If You Seek Amy, Circus, and Womanizer. From Katy Perry: California Girls, Teenage Dream, Hot ‘n’ Cold, and Waking Up in Vegas. From Lady Gaga: The Edge of Glory, Poker Face, and Just Dance. I also have AC/DC’s Shook Me All Night Long, LMFAO’s “Party Rock Anthem, Luke Bryan’s Rain is a Good Thing, Nicki Minaj Super Bass, Pitbull’s Give Me Everything, Reba’s Turn on the Radio, and Eric Church’s Hell on the Heart.

Good for you! I’m so glad you’re doing well. I am using the runningstrong.org program and have made great progress. Now it’s gotten colder, I don’t have the proper attire, and I caught a cold How is that for excuses? I was shooting for a 5K this month with my son, but he’s strained a muscle and you’ve read my excuses. I’m getting back out there, though. You need to share your running attire for colder weather! ;) (I’m so used to sweating when I run I think I might freeze and crack in the colder temps.)

You playlist is quite interesting! I don’t recognize some of them. I’ll have to check them out. I know if a song comes on the iPod that isn’t helping with my pace, I’ll just quit listening altogether rather than try to find another. I like the fast paced Mumford and Sons tunes, old school Audio Adrenaline and 70′s rock, mostly.

Do you think you could just hook a speaker onto your back when we are running the 5K in February, because this playlist sounds awesome! And by the way, I like your new shoes! :)

Thanks for being my running buddy!

Laura says

You are an inspiration! One day, hopefully soon, I’ll get up off my couch and lace up the sneaks. Until then, I’ll just enjoy your playlist! Glad you’re back on your feet.

Linda21 says

This is on my playlist for my walk run intervals with our dog. How Do You Like Me Now by The Heavy. Fits in after the Procedure!

That’s a great playlist! Best of luck with your running – it will all be worth it especially once race day rolls around.

Linda says

Good for you doing C25K! I did it this summer and am stil. Running every other day. I am pleased to say that I am 30 pounds lighter than when I started (without dieting) and I LOVE running though it is starting to get colder here in Manitoba, Canada. I am wanting to run outside as much as I can but will switch over to treadmill running when the need arises. I have a few of your tunes in my running playlist though the songs I add have to be FAST. I find those ones motivate me more and get me to pick up my pace! Try some of these:

Born This Way – Lady Gaga
    I Gotta Feeling – BEP
    Footloose – Kenny Loggins
    Travelin’ Band – CCR
    You Make Me Wanna Shout – Temptations
    Single Ladies – Beyonce

Yay Amy & Robyn! You guys are awesome! While I’m not doing the actual Couch-5-K I am working out every day and find much motivation from you! Keep on keepin’ on!

Nancy says

Hi Amy,

I know this is after the fact, but I’m happy for you that you are on the road to recovery! I admire your courage to make the change!

Way to go! I just started week 2 of Couch to 5K so you’re giving me good inspiration to keep plugging on. :-) My sister is on Week 4 too. It’s been great so far, glad to be able to feel like I can run! Or jog, or whatever it is I’m doing at week 2. :-)

Yay Kathy! So great to hear others. We can all encourage each other along. In my opinion I thought weeks 2 & 3 were the hardest for me. So push through. Let me know how you’re doing too. When are y’all planning on doing your 5K? Are you running one together?

Way to go with the #C25k program!! I did it last summer, and I have been running ever since (with a short break due to my surgery). I don’t always like to go for a run, but I sure do love the feeling after I’m done! Lately my running playlist includes a lot of Lady Gaga and some favorites from Glee!

Yay, Amy! I started C25K in June with a friend. Prior to that, I ran only when being chased. Our 5K was in September, and I’m still running, with another 5K on Thanksgiving. I don’t always love it, but I always feel better when I’m done. Keep it up! Crossing the finish line is such an emotional & fantastic sense of accomplishment. Great playlist!

Great post, thanks for the ideas! I always need more workout tunes. Some others I’d add are “Power” by Kanye West and “H.A.M.” by Jay-z and Kanye West.

I have a little bit of everything on my ipod for working out, but here are some favorites:
    Aerosmith – Dude Looks Like a Lady; Love in an Elevator, Walk This Way
    Green Day – just about anything; good for an aggression burning workout
    Gypsy Kings – nothing gets you moving like a little Latin
    Robin Thicke – Everything I Can’t Have (speaking of a Latin beat)
    Manu Chao – Bongo Bong (quirky but fun)
    Lady Gaga – Poker Face and Just Dance
    For warm ups & cool downs, I go for Pink Floyd, Dr John, Leon Russel & Luther Vandross

Love this! music is a huge motivator when it comes to running for me. I think I run because it is honestly the only time I can listen to ‘my’ music. I love love love Bruno Mars. :)

I’m proud of you for doing this with Robyn. :) High five!

ryan says

May I suggest just about anything from Daft Punk. The song “better faster stronger” has the perfect message and pace for a good jog.

Congrats on completing week 4! I started running this year and just finished my second half-marathon. Such an amazing experience! Good luck to you and great list!!

I have a good mix on mine but some of my favorites that make me move faster are Black Eyed Peas – Dirty Bit, I Got a Feeling I also have Love Shack, several of Lady Gaga and Gwen Stefani tunes. I like being able to keep my pace up there for the major portion of my work out. The tunes definitely help!

Kara Wilson says

Let’s see-”Shake It Out” by Florence+The Machine, “Sound of Madness” by Shinedown, and the best running song ever “Bad Romance” by Lady Gaga

Thanks for the share! I’m actually in training to run my first 5K next month! I agree music is so important when running (at least for me). I know some people who prefer without it. But some of my favorite running tracks are ‘Kids’ by Sleigh Bells ‘What Goes Around’ by Justin Timberlake and ‘Over’ by Drake to name a few.