Simple Rib-Eyes

Share on Google+Pin on PinterestShare on StumbleUponTweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook

Sorry for back-to-back meat recipes, but I have a quick steak tip I want to share with you before the weekend in case you have plans to throw one on the grill.

Last weekend I was flipping channels and caught Giada grilling rib-eyes. I don’t tend to be a big rib-eye fan. Give me a good filet any day, or of course, my new favorite, the skirt steak. But these were thick, drool inducing rib-eyes, so I stopped and tuned in. She salt and peppered the steaks like we normally do, but you know what she did next? She sprinkled them with this stuff, Herbs de Provence.

Herbs de Provence is a mixture of rosemary, basil, tarragon, thyme and other herbs, sometimes with the addition of lavender. I was curious. Although I’ve had a jar of it staring back at me from the cabinet for months, I’d never used Herbs de Provence before. Why not try it now? A little sprinkling on some steaks seemed easy enough.

So we ran by The Fresh Market (where, by the way, I think you can find some of the best meat around) and hunted down the best looking, thick cut, Hereford rib-eyes we could find, seasoned them with salt, pepper, and the fancy Herbs de Provence, then shrugged a bit wondering if it would make a difference at all.

I’m here to say, it made a difference. For one thing, the right thick cut rib-eye is a mighty tasty piece of meat, but the Herbs de Provence added just the right touch of that something-something to take it to the next level. Get you some! Try it and let me know if you agree.

Happy grilling y’all!

Simple Rib-Eyes

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Adapted from Giada de Laurentis
  • Thick cut rib-eyes steaks (ours were about 1½" thick)
  • Salt
  • Black Pepper
  • Herbs de Provence
  1. Sprinkle salt, pepper and Herbs de Provence on both sides of steak, press seasonings in real good, and let sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
  2. On grill over medium heat, cook steaks for about 8 minutes each side for medium rare. Adjust cooking time for desired doneness.
  3. Remove from grill and let rest for about 10 minutes before cutting.

(This is not a sponsored post, I just happen to like The Fresh Market. Their meat department rocks!)

Comments

i’d take a rib-eye over a filet any day of the week . . . can you just come live w/me and cook for me and the prof? oh wait, you already have a family . . . i knew that . . .

i am a fan of fresh market, too. gonna have to try those steaks. is the herbal flavor a little like bernaise? sounds like a great match for the meat.

You are right, herbes de provence have that certain something to elevate a dish. Love it with a great cut of red meat like this.

That looks so delicious! Herbs de Province will be purchased by me very soon. It sounds like it would add a great taste to many meals.

I have been using Herbes de Provence for some time but I hesitated at one time because of one thing. Lavender? Really?
    Now I’m growing lavender and appreciating it in a lot of culinary adventures so why not ribeye steak? I most often use it for chicken and vegetable dishes but I’m game. And I’ve got a ribeye thawed too!

NanaBread says

Man, that is one good lookin’ hunk-o-beef. My stomach is grumbling now! Thanks for the tip on the herbs. I’ve been thinking of trying them, but had a roasted chicken in mind. Until you changed my mind. I think this one will definitely have to come first.

Bev Weidner says

Oooo, I LOVE HdP. I just put it on some shrimp last week and it’s incredible. Gawgeous steak, lady!

Donna G says

I like Herbes de Provence, but not with lavender. I make my own mix normally, but bought some with lavender in the San Juans last October. Neither the Boss or I liked how it made our pan-seared chicken breasts taste, so I’m giving it to my mom. Maybe I’ll try my mix on the sirloin I have in the freezer – thanks for the idea!

cookingwithelise says

Hmmm…looks like a wonderful dinner idea for this evening. Thanks, Amy!