The Buzz

Recently while in Savannah for the first Go Savor Culinary Retreat, we were treated to a tour of Savannah Bee Company. Which was extra cool for me as I’m starting to keep bees in a few weeks. Any chance I can get to see bee hives in action and glean information from experienced bee keepers is great.

Our guide at the Savannah Bee Company, opened a couple of hives. One was jam packed, which we soon learned meant an extra mess to deal with. But it was full of happy bees.

See that little puddle of honey?

I stuck my finger right in there, and tasted it straight from the hive. And the bees let me. How cool is that?!?

From the little bit I know, they were probably close to swarming as he showed us this queen cell, which held a new queen inside. It’s the little oval, egg-shaped bumpy thing. It’s like Wild Kingdom around here folks.

Bees are remarkable creatures. Each hive contains a queen, and if the hive grows too large, or the queen isn’t doing too good, the hive will begin the process of creating a new queen to eventually begin a new hive or take over the existing one. While all bees in larvae stage are initially fed special food called royal jelly, pumped with nutrients and protein, the larvae marked for queens continue being fed the royal jelly throughout their development, when the “regular” larvae’s diet changes around day three. Unbelievable really.

Every page I turn in the bee keeping books we’re reading are eyebrow raising, as I learn the intricacies of bees and their little lives.

My hives are prepped and ready to go.

I think.

Not all the pieces and parts are shown here but we set them up on the platform to see if everything would fit and sit level. Since they’re cypress boxes and don’t really need any painting, we decided to just stain them with a light, creamy white water-based stain. Kind of a shabby chic bee hive if you will. The water-based stain will provide a little protection from the wet weather, without adding concern of harmful fumes being released in the heat of the summer. And they won’t be that clean looking ever again I imagine.

So for now, we wait for our bees. And keep reading everything we can get our hands on. We’re expecting a call mid-April letting us know the bees are ready for their new home, but it could come sooner if the weather stays warm like it’s been the last few days.

Things will be buzzing around here in no  time. I’ll keep ya posted.

Comments

Wow! That is so cool! As a biology teacher, I’m always interested in stuff like this! I can’t wait to come back and see how everything’s going once you get your bees! Neat! :)

Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks says

This is too cool! My great-grandfather was a bee keeper and my dad has really fond memories of this. Sounds like a good time!

You are going to keep bees! That is so cool! We have alfalfa hay meadows and a local bee keeper places hives near our meadows in the summer. In the fall he brings us buckets of the most amazing honey. I look forward to reading more about your bee keeping!

SOOOOO cool! Awesome pictures too girl! One of my cousins is the president of the Bee Keepers Association in MN… they have thousands and we LOVE knowing people who can provide raw honey! I am always amazed when I heat about the natural and beautiful things that God’s creatures can do… how healing and beneficial honey is… its all pretty amazing!

I would absolutely love to experience what fresh-from-the-hive honey tastes like. I have a *huge* phobia of bees so until I work up the courage to go near a hive I’ll enjoy the experience vicariously through you! :-)

Oh my gosh, this is going to be so much fun!! You’ll have to keep us posted on how your bees are doing; can’t wait to hear all about it!

Oh wow! That sounds exciting! I thought about doing that at one time, but the thought didn’t last long. Ha! Love love love your photos! Can’t wait to read all about your bee adventure. I am full of questions already! :)

Oh I just love your bee hives!! I can’t wait since I will be living vicariously through you for a while until I get to venture into bee keeping :)

Great post! I just ordered my bees (a “nuc”) which should come in June- so glad to hear we’ll be embarking on this journey right around the same time :)

Hey Winnie!

YAY! So glad to have another bee beginner to chat with. I learn something new every day!

~ Amy

I love the Savannah Bee Company. Their Black Sage honey is world class, and a favorite in our home. I’m also addicted to their lip balm products. I’m so jealous of your tour! Can’t wait to hear about your bee keeping experiences. Best wishes!