Fried Nectarines with Vanilla Mascarpone Recipe

Share on Google+Pin on PinterestShare on StumbleUponTweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook

Fried Nectarines with Vanilla Mascarpone

A local grocer has stocked beautiful nectarines for the last couple of weeks. They’re hard to pass up. Their fragrance is intoxicating, plus I love the colors. We’ve been purchasing fresh fruit left and right and are trying to keep up with our stockpile, but over the weekend I noticed a few of the nectarines fading fast.

So I reached for my two favorite cookbooks, Hospitality Southern Style and Hearts Go Home for the Holidays, both published years ago by my sweet Aunt Carole. Plenty of blood, sweat and tears (but mostly love) went into those cookbooks as she compiled recipes from family and friends near and far. My great-grandmother, Nannie, had 12 children and each of the 12 are represented in the books as well as many of their children.

fried-nectarines-E

I can’t tell you how often I’ve referred to these books, whether hunting for an old family favorite or ideas for a baby shower. The cookbooks are jam packed with culinary inspiration and memories for me and my family. They’ve been a great companion in the kitchen. I’m very thankful for Aunt Carole’s effort and her joy of cooking that she’s shared with us all throughout the years.

Now, back to the nectarines…

Fried Nectarines with Vanilla Mascarpone

You can imagine how excited I was to find a recipe for Fried Peaches that I easily adapted for the nectarines. Uh, yeah, not quite a fresh fruit, healthy kinda thing, but yummy nonetheless. Delectable, delightful and a breeze to whip up, Fried Nectarines (or peaches) are the perfect ending to a spring or summertime meal.

You’ll need nectarines (or peaches), brown sugar, butter and amaretto.

Easy Fried Nectarines with Vanilla Mascarpone

The process if fairly straightforward. Peel and slice the nectarines (or peaches), then mix the brown sugar with the nectarines. Melt the butter in a saute pan, then add the brown sugar-coated nectarines and cook over medium heat for about 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Follow with the amaretto and simmer over medium heat for about 3-6 more minutes, stirring occasionally.

Simple Fried Nectarines with Vanilla Mascarpone Fried Nectarines

How simple is that? I topped these off with a mascarpone cream of sorts. I was out of heavy cream so I used vanilla yogurt and some vanilla extract instead. The mascarpone was a nice creamy contrast to the sweetness of the nectarines, and easy peasy. The mascarpone and yogurt are mixed together, along with the vanilla extract, until blended well.

fried-nectarines-F

Try avoid eating a whole spoonful of the yumminess. Save it for the nectarines!

That’s it. Yummy goodness awaits.

Fried Nectarines with Vanilla Mascarpone

This recipe has been a nice one to use for large groups. I’ve also served it topped with toasted nuts, and vanilla ice cream, which is a nice addition to the warm, buttery fruit.

Enjoy!

Fried Nectarines with Vanilla Mascarpone Recipe

Serves: Serves 3-4
  • For fruit:
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 4 cups nectarines, sliced (about 6-7 nectarines)
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • ¼ cup amaretto
  • For mascarpone topping:*
  • 8 ounces mascarpone soft cheese
  • 4 ounces vanilla yogurt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • *Makes a lot more than you’ll need, but is that so bad? Halve the recipe if you’d like.
  1. For fruit:
  2. Melt the butter in a saute pan.
  3. In a small bowl combine the sliced nectarines and brown sugar.
  4. Add the brown sugar coated nectarines and cook over medium heat for about 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  5. Next add the amaretto and simmer over medium heat for about 3-6 more minutes, stir occasionally.
  6. For mascarpone topping:
  7. Mix together the mascarpone and yogurt with a hand mixer.
  8. Add the vanilla and mix well.
  9. Serve over warm nectarines.
Notes
Nectarine recipe inspired by Hospitality Southern Style by Carole Radford.

Comments

I am totally printing this recipe for another time. It looks fantastic! I love the addition of the amaretto!

Eileen says

Hmmm… I wonder if I could use the peaches I sliced up and froze last fall when we were overrun with them…

It looks SO good!

Nanny J says

Peaches are Pa’s favorite fruit. I’ll try this for him. Looks and sounds delic.
    And, yes, Aunt Carol, I refer to the cookbooks quite often. Amy, I enjoy your blog and have used and enjoyed many of your posts. Thanks.

I want a family recipe cookbook like that. What a treasure. My husband’s grandmother made pound cakes that were out of this world. We think we have the recipe, but it never turns out like hers. Makes me long for a chance to go watch her make it one more time.

Gah. These look delicious. I’m going to have to bookmark it for when we have nectarines available this summer. Thanks for sharing a piece of your family history.

bunkycooks says

Oh, my goodness! I do not think you are that far from the ATL. When are you fixin’ (that’s a good Southern term, right?)that dessert again? I have some of those great old recipes, too. Sometimes, they are the best!

This is what I did with white peaches two weeks ago and used agave nectar. So yum! the amaretto added the extra what-else-is-in-there? ingredient that guests asked about. Hee.

The nectarines look beautiful but I am in absolutely in love with your Aunts cook books. What a wonderful legacy you have there to pass on to your daughter.I have a similar one that my cousin did with my great grandmothers recipes.

Aunt Carole says

Amy, Thanks for the kind words about the cookbooks…”Hearts Go Home For The Holidays” sold so well because people were first attracted to the cover which was designed and drawn by YOU! Thank you so much for taking the time from your busy young life to do that for me…it made the book even more special because you were such an important part of it. I remember people buying the book, looking at Nannie’s perfectly drawn house, reading the introduction and bursting into happy tears, because it brought back memories to them of visits to their own grandparents house. I remember being so overwhelmed by their reactions!

I enjoy your blog. You have such innovative ideas and your charming personality shines through your words and your beautiful photography! I am proud of you and love you and your sweet family very much…keep on cooking!! Aunt Carole

published family cookbooks? that’s awesome–definitely something to be proud of! now, about these nectarines–i’m thrilled. i eat fried apples all the time, but this sounds even more appealing, especially with that creamy topping. excellent post. :)

Oh, Amy. What a fabulous dessert. My favorites desserts are ones with any kind of warm fruit and this one looks like a definite winner! You can be assured that this one will be making an appearance on our table soon.

Puppydogs says

Oh My, I want some right now!

Have you tried other liquors? My kids are allergic to nuts so can not do Amaretto.

thanks!

Hey Adrianna!

Yep. Technically, I don’t think they would be considered fried but the original recipe was called Fried Peaches so I went with it. Whatever you call it, it’s good stuff. Fo’ sho’.

~ Amy

Mom says

Loved your blog about the cookbooks. I cooked Nana’s Chicken Bundles (pg. 85 in the Hospitality Southern Style Cookbook) last night for supper. I had not made them in years and had forgotten how easy and delicious they were not to mention how pretty when served.

I seem to get stuck in a rut cooking the same old same old all the time and I need to try and be more creative in the kitchen, like you.

Teressa H says

I will definately have to try this when we start getting some fresh fruit.

desiree says

My mouth is watering. I can’t wait to try this. My in-laws have peach and nectarine trees and we always get baskets of fruit from the crop. My kids will flip for this treat!

Drooling over these photos. Just amazing. Now if only I could find a fresh nectarine. I’m bookmarking this for August!

Beautiful pictures and awesome post! They look so delicious! Funny thing – I don’t think I’ve ever even tasted a nectarine.

cbp says

Can’t wait for fresh peaches! This will be the first thing I do with them. I’d love to see the cover of your Aunt Carole’s cookbook that was designed by you. In fact I’d love to add them to my cookbook collection! Are they still in print and available? You just might have to start thinking about putting together a cookbook of your own and include your delicious pictures! The Next Generation…

Amy – love the peach recipe. I’m a nutritionist, and you have my blessings. Dessert totally fits into a healthy diet, and anything that contains seasonal fruit makes it even better. See you in Portland!!

Allison says

I do not have amaretto at home. to be completely honest, I’m not really a fan of it. What could I substitute?

Hey Allison!

You can delete it altogether if you like, or try substituting cognac,brandy, or bourbon just to name a few.