This was my first year growing leeks. Even though I started the seeds at the wrong time a harvest of small leeks made their way to my kitchen. And while the leeks were on the puny size compared to the store bought variety, the flavor more than made up for their lack in girth.
Accompanied by fresh thyme the leeks are perfect in scalloped potatoes. A little butter, olive oil and white wine to round out the party and you’ve got yourself an unbelievable savory dish that’s the perfect addition to any meal. (Please forgive the lighting on some of these pictures. It was night and light wasn’t right.)
After cleaning and chopping the leeks…
And washing and slicing the potatoes…
In a saucepan bring the potatoes milk, salt and pepper to a low simmer.
In a separate pan saute the leeks in butter and olive oil until brown.
Oh, I wish you could smell this. One of my favorite aromas – butter and leeks or onions. Yum. After browned, add the white wine and thyme. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Add the leek mixture to the potatoes and milk. Mix well and carefully pour into a buttered baking dish.
Bake in a 350° F oven for 30-45 minutes or until potatoes are done.
Now go and tell all of your family and friends that the potatoes burned, hide in the laundry room and eat them all yourself. Or you could share them I guess. Whatever tickles your fancy.
- 4 cups sliced potatoes (I used new potatoes but use what you like.)
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup rough chopped/sliced leeks
- 1/4 cup white wine (I used Chardonnay, but again, use what you like.)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Additional Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a saucepan heat potatoes milk, salt, and pepper to a low simmer.
- In a separate pan heat the butter and olive oil over medium-medium high heat. Add the leeks and cook until browned. About 5-8 minutes.
- When browned, add the white wine and thyme to the leeks and simmer for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add the leeks mixture to the potato and milk. Mix well and pour into a buttered baking dish.
- Bake in 350° F oven for 30-45 minutes or until potatoes are done.